Importing parts

Desey

I have no idea how import charges are worked out. I've been charged £15 for a £35 spoiler which I also had to pay £20 for delivery, so the import charge+postage cost me the same as the actual item. But at the same time £50 import tax for a $800 oil cooler which cost $40 to deliver from the states (YES $40 delivered from the US via USPS/Parcelforce :scare:). It is a long wait though regardless of how you pay for the thing to be sent, I had a water pump that arrived in the UK in 2-3 days but than sat with customs for almost a week, and than spent almost another week sat at the local parcel force delivery office due to them having problems with their payment computer.

It seems like to me customs almost just pick random % out of the air :wacko:...But the £ is very strong at the moment against the $, I'm very tempted to just order lots of parts over to make the most of it...or just plan a holiday to the states...not sure if the wife will be happy with giving up her luggage allowance for turbo components :lol:

Edited by gangzoom

Don't want to sound arogant, but I'm reading this thread and I'm laughing my head off at the amounts people paid for tax. :lol:

There's no way on earth I was going to down value the engine, especially coming via shipping container that "could" fall off!! If it's of lower value then I'd for sure downgrade the value. I want full 100% insurance and you pay through the nose for doing so. Anyway, £7.5k for 500bhp isn't so bad....... I'd like to see others get the same for the same amount of money.

How's those twins coming along? ;)

• Like 3

I have no idea how import charges are worked out. I've been charged £15 for a £35 spoiler which I also had to pay £20 for delivery, so the import charge+postage cost me the same as the actual item. But at the same time £50 import tax for a $800 oil cooler which cost $40 to deliver from the states (YES $40 delivered from the US via USPS/Parcelforce :scare:). It is a long wait though regardless of how you pay for the thing to be sent, I had a water pump that arrived in the UK in 2-3 days but than sat with customs for almost a week, and than spent almost another week sat at the local parcel force delivery office due to them having problems with their payment computer.

It seems like to me customs almost just pick random % out of the air :wacko:...But the £ is very strong at the moment against the $, I'm very tempted to just order lots of parts over to make the most of it...or just plan a holiday to the states...not sure if the wife will be happy with giving up her luggage allowance for turbo components :lol:

Sounds like dodgy Parcelforce to me, they pay your customs charges for you, apparently so its released quicker and then charge you extra (£13 or so) for the privilege, even though you havent asked them, then they go on to hold the parcel until the fees are settled which according to postage rights is against the law to withhold a package in lieu of payment!

I have paid similar amounts on low value $ items, even customs charges is lower than their astronomical handling fee!!

There's no way on earth I was going to down value the engine, especially coming via shipping container that "could" fall off!! If it's of lower value then I'd for sure downgrade the value. I want full 100% insurance and you pay through the nose for doing so. Anyway, £7.5k for 500bhp isn't so bad....... I'd like to see others get the same for the same amount of money.

Did it work out much cheaper/easier importing an engine from the states yourself rather than just using a UK importer of LS engines etc?

As others have said, factor in all the taxes and prices. My boss felt it would be quicker to print off some business cards for me in the US then ship them over. By the time I ended up paying import tax, vat, plus "collection fee" to the postal service we were looking at £100 for some business cards. I could have had them printed up here in the UK for about £4.99.

Did it work out much cheaper/easier importing an engine from the states yourself rather than just using a UK importer of LS engines etc?

It's cheaper only because I've sourced and cut out the middle man. I'd rather manage the whole project, that way I'm fully in control. I could have sourced a brand new LS3 in the UK from a supplier in the UK, but with having to also get ancillary parts as well, the price would be much higher.

I've also sourced other parts like the engine loom for pennies, in comparison to buying in the UK. I've waited over 6 months for the right engine, and although it all sounds very expensive, the options and future of the LS3 with added power are as easy as bolting on. None of this building the VQ to take BIG power, the LS comes ready made to be a muscle car.

• Like 1

Don't want to sound arogant, but I'm reading this thread and I'm laughing my head off at the amounts people paid for tax. :lol:

How's those twins coming along? ;)

& think of the money you will be saving on OIL :lol: You'll be quids in by september

• Like 1