Springs or Coilovers

steve916

Just out of curiosity.

When would you use springs and when would you use coil overs to lower your car?

I understand that with coil overs you have more options regarding ride height, stiffness etc etc, but if you were only ever going to be road driving, would you just use springs to drop your car?

Are the coil overs more for track driving, as you can alter the setup?

Springs will be the cheapest, quickest option (and it's what I'll try initially as well with Tein S, not too low, just right imho).

Search the forums for before and after photo's as well.

You can, if you wish change the springs and damper, Bilstein B8's are designed for lowering springs.

Coilovers are far more fiddly but can be finely adjusted.

• Like 1

And if you use springs, you would also need adjustable camber arms for the rear and bushes at the front. Is that correct?

It all depends on your drop

If it more then 30mm you will definitely need camber arms

But if you going with teins 17mm drop upfront and 14mm at rear you don't need any

• Like 1

I had tein s tech on mine. The drop was spot on as far as I was concerned but then I'm not into stupidly low cars.

Springs for show, coilovers for go is a pretty good way of looking at it.

Click my sig and there are before and after pictures where the teins were fitted. They were done at the same time as spacers so bare that in mind.

I have had both on varying cars and imho once you have set your height on coilovers you will never touch it, same goes for dampening really, so unless you plan on adjusting height and dampening on a regular basis I would just go springs :)

• Like 1

I was the same as you when I wanted to lower my car, I went for elbach springs 30mm drop and elbach rear camber arms and toe bolts , dod not change anything on the front set up aperture from the springs, but that in mind , it's about £230 for the springs and £180 for the camber arms,and then a day fitting it , then about £120 to get it all set up after fitting , just to give you a heads up on the price off doing it with springs right first time,,,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'd stick to lowered springs and adj. dampers for road use.

Cheaper to replace if broken than a whole coilover unit.

Coilovers are fine if you need to alter the ride height frequently but can be an expensive option

• Like 1

Coilovers are fine if you need to alter the ride height frequently but can be an expensive option

Thanks. Just noticed you're from Brechfa Forest. We have holidayed there the past 2 years. Excellent mountain biking terrain :)

Thanks for that. I was thinking 5-6 hundred so about right then.
yep about about £500 if doing the fitting your self and it's about 8 hours labor working off jacks and sat on the floor . That's what could drive the price up as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I would be doing it myself on a nice sunny day :D

• Like 1

Thanks. Just noticed you're from Brechfa Forest. We have holidayed there the past 2 years. Excellent mountain biking terrain :)

Are you here again this year? You're welcome to call in anytime. The Black Lion in Abergorlech is my local...best food imo for miles around

Edited by 350zedd

Are you here again this year? You're welcome to call in anytime. The Black Lion in Abergorlech is my local...best food imo for miles around

Not sure yet. We're hoping to. I was in the Black Lion with my brother in law last august after coming down the Gorlech trail. We were covered in mud, so bought drinks and sat in the garden opposite. We stayed in Brechfa Forest Barns. Do you know Nicki and Jason from the barns?

Not sure yet. We're hoping to. I was in the Black Lion with my brother in law last august after coming down the Gorlech trail. We were covered in mud, so bought drinks and sat in the garden opposite. We stayed in Brechfa Forest Barns. Do you know Nicki and Jason from the barns?

We know of them but have never met them. The beer garden is closed at the mo and is undergoing major works. The landlord at the Black Lion has just bought the Forest Arms in Brechfa village and is hoping to make it as popular as the the Black Lion.

Its a great place to live and very popular with mountain bikers