cracked windscreen

sinbad

:surrender:

On my way home the biggest stone you've ever seen bounced up off the motorway hitting the lower part of my windscreen. Its left a 50p size round crack in it :headhurt: Gutted!!!

What should i do? Am i o.k. to drive it for the time being? Its not going to shatter on me if i drive with the crack in the windscreen?

Do i ring my insurance company first? will they tell me to go to a prefered windscreen company or do i go to my own?

Damn!! :angry::blush:

B*gger, same happened to me about 2hrs ago! Some c*nt swerved in front of me and flung a stone straight at the screen and chipped it and now its cracked! Just phoned RAC (via Elephant) and they have to order in the screen :angry: Just have to wait to hear from the RAC people.

I would phone your insurance and see where you stand. Its costing me £70 to get my screen replaced, I guess thats a damn sight cheaper than it would cost through a normal screen replacement company.

Different policies = different terms. They will have their own supplier so it depends on delivery time. Think the ruling on continued driving is same-ish as for MOT. If its in the drivers direct eyeline its not legal to be driven, ie is it stopping your line of sight. :sorry:

If its that size mate it's non-repairable regardless of what anyone tells you. New screen for you.

I've had a couple now, same thing as yours, go to the guys in Bolton, they'll well look after you - tell them I gave you the number, just say Andy with the blue Z. They've also recently done my missus' Beetle.

Bolton Saftey Glass 01204 393260. Top guys and they'll have it done for you in a couple of hours. Give me a shout (PM me if you haven't got the number and I'll give it you) and I'll take you for a brew or a pint while you're waiting - I work in Bolton :thumbs:

My policy covers me for a £350 with a £60 excess, I've only ever had to pay the excess. Plus they have direct billing with most insurers.

Sorry Sinbad should also have said that it will get bigger - if it is anything like mine were you'll physically see it spreading the quicker you drive, very unnerving on the motorway. I went from Manchester to Leeds and back and in that time the crack grew by over 3 inches (we measured it before & after).

So, I'd say get it done sooner rather than later mate, in the meantime try not to drive unless you have to.

Ring your insurance company first, although they will probably have a preferred contractor (my insurers tried to put me onto Autoglass), however if you tell them you want to have it done by your own people they won't have a problem with it - they can't force you to use a certain company. They may tell you that you will have to pay for it and then send in the invoice (thats what mine said) but speak to BSG and they'll more than likely have direct billing anyway so that will go out the window.

yep as said, ring insurance if you haven't already, you usually have to pay between 50 and 70 quid and they pay the rest. I once had a stone chip in a bmw windscreen which spread the full length of the screen.

Just called my insurance company, they've told me to go to National windscreen. I have an excess of £60. Can i get charged more than £60 for the screen??

Ive rang National windscreens and told them it was a tinted screen?

The circular crack has spread to a 6 in crack line!!! :headhurt::scare:

Just waiting for them to ring me back now......

Andy - I'll see what happens. If its likely to cost me more or i have any problems i'll give Bolton Safety Glass a call. Thanks mate

Thanks everyone too!! will see how things go and report back on here.. Never ever in 7 years have i had a cracked windscreen.

you shouldn't get charged more than the £60

I've had it happen on the last car where the windscreen was more than the amount claimable ie £350 with a £50 excess but still paid the excess only and not the additional on top of the £350.

you shouldn't get charged more than the £60

I've had it happen on the last car where the windscreen was more than the amount claimable ie £350 with a £50 excess but still paid the excess only and not the additional on top of the £350.

I have only ever paid the excess - direct to the windscreen company, the insurance should cover the rest.

Incidentally, Autoglass have direct links to the insurance companies. You quote your insurance number and they tell you if you are covered and how much you will have to pay.

:thumbs::thumbs: