Rear wiper delete bung

Niko

Hi everyone

I'm going to be doing the rear wiper delete soon. Is there anyone that sells colour coded ones? Some one sent me a link ages ago on the Facebook page but I can't find it. Falling that can you paid the rubber bung?

Cheers.

Hi Niko, I'm not going to be much help as I have no idea where to get colour coded rubber bungs from but if you can find out the size of the hole to fit it in then that will make your search easier.

As it's rubber if you paint it then it will most likely flake or not adhere very well with normal spray paint. You could try a plastidip spray paint though as that is flexible even when it goes off. Much more chance of it still looking good after time has past and it is available in a range of colours.

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLASTIDIP-PLASTI-DIP-USA-PLASTIC-RUBBER-PAINT-SPRAY-CANS-AEROSOL-400ML-FLEXIBLE-/181220903710?var=480274700728&_trksid=p2054897.l5667

:thumbs:

Yeah I thought painting rubber wouldn't last. I've used plasti dip quite a few times but colour match wouldn't even be close. I have a sunset orange zed.

As Vlad said, go to your local automotive paint supplier (i work for one!)... I know it's a lot for a tiny item like a bung, but if they are half decent to their customers, like we are and you want the right finish then get yourself a small amount of clear plastic primer (they may have a tiny bit lying around in their mixing room), use this first to seal the rubber and then ask them nicely if they have an open "test" can of clearcoat and giving it a minute between coats on or near a radiator, give it a couple of distant blasts just to add rigidity to help prevent the surface paint cracking or crazing... Don't over do it though...

You will need to spray the basecoat (sunset orange) via an aerosol as you cannot brush on metallics, it will stand out a mile and kill the effect of the metallic element... It is a big expense for a tiny piece, but you can always use the rest of the rattle can for dings and scuff repairs. Just be sure to hold the can bolt upright (UPSIDE DOWN!) when finished and press the nozzle to clear the stem out properly for future use :)

Before you do ANY of this, clean the bung in warm soapy (fairy liquid) type water and allow to fully dry before commencing!

Hope this helps!

Edited by Shifty6Speed
  • Like 1

I painted mine off the car, however ran into issue when trying to squeeze the rubber grommet back into the hole in the boot lid. The paint cracked almost instantly and now looks crap.

My plan over the next weekend or so it get a new rubber grommet, fit it to the car & the paint with a touch up pen in-situ. Hopefully this way once the paint dries there will be no need to bend or miss shape the rubber causing cracks. Not sure if it'll work though :lol:

I painted mine off the car, however ran into issue when trying to squeeze the rubber grommet back into the hole in the boot lid. The paint cracked almost instantly and now looks crap.

My plan over the next weekend or so it get a new rubber grommet, fit it to the car & the paint with a touch up pen in-situ. Hopefully this way once the paint dries there will be no need to bend or miss shape the rubber causing cracks. Not sure if it'll work though :lol:

This should be a good idea, however with a metallic, using a touch up pot and brushing it will making it look flat and horrible... Get them to make you an aerosol of the colour and then just mask the whole are off to paint and clearcoat it :)