Possibly need new battery? Any advice?

nixy

After a long day at work yesterday I stopped for fuel only about a mile from home. Filled up, got back in the car and it was dead! The windscreen wipers started going and all I got was a clicking noise! I got someone to come and jump start me which worked immediately and once I got home it started again no problem. Tried it again this morning and still starting fine. I've driven my Clio today as I'm scared to go anywhere in case it does it again! I'm on the original Bosch battery which is ten years old but surely it should still be dead if it was that? I haven't charged it and only drove round the corner after the jump start. Any ideas?

It will be a loose connection on your battery, mine did it for a while a couple of years back.

Try taking them off, cleaning them up if dirty or corroded and then refit and tighten up. Also covering in Vaseline will help.

YEP. Also strangely when i jumped mine, I had feedback issues with steering (juddering feedback). New battery fitted, all back to normal.

To be fair this is my second battery since buying car - first one I bought cheap which lasted only 13 months.

It will be a loose connection on your battery, mine did it for a while a couple of years back.

Try taking them off, cleaning them up if dirty or corroded and then refit and tighten up. Also covering in Vaseline will help.

"also covering in vaseline" - the battery terminals, not yourself. :teeth:

"also covering in vaseline" - the battery terminals, not yourself. :teeth:

well it is the weekend!! :shrug:

Hi Nixy,

Clean up the trrminals and cover with vasalene as has already been suggested.

Keep an eye on it but you should be fine.

Hope you are well.

Choptop :thumbs:

Good thanks long time no see! I will give it a go.