What gives a forum it's identity..?

Kuro

Its interesting to compare with my350z.com where the US owner demographic is very different. Almost every thread I read ends up in personal, vitriolic exchanges which are completely uncalled for. There is also such a huge amount of traffic that it becomes daunting to keep up with and makes it harder to feel part of a community.

:dry:

No wonder Adam spends so much time here. :teeth:

Definitely the members, there is a great bunch of people on here from all walks of life and it's great to mix with them.

I've been on Uk Supras for about ten years, I was one of the first members and seen lots of people come and go but even now that Supras are "old hat" and the group is dying down there is a core group of maybe a dozen members and we are like best friends, we talk about everything and help each other through life's trials and tribulations.

I'm on a couple of powerlifting/bodybuilding forums and there are lots of wierdos on there but plenty of good blokes too !

I really could do with getting on one of these dating forums that Nixy mentioned - LOL

A forum is nothing without members. Whether those member post dross or factual nuggets its still nothing with out either of them.

This site has dreamers who'll never own a zed, would-be purchasers, owners and past owners. In my opinion all groups make up the demographic of the forum. Also most importantly its how each group interacts with the other E.G if owners flame would be purchasers it will no doubt discourage them from buying a zed but also this site!

For me this site started as an owners site but it could easily develop into a owners/social site. Does the fact that you no longer own a zed mean that you can't revisit this site? I understand this is a 350z orientated site but it could be sooooo much more as well. I can't think of many past owners that still frequent this site which is not a good thing. I understand that off topic stuff is not particularly wanted but there is massive potential for this site based on its current format.

How about expanding the other car forums? How about encouraging other traders from other marques? How about charging membership fee's for owners of other cars plus theyre associated traders? They could offer discounts that were only available here maybe? Would you buy tyres from www.bmwlover.co.uk if it was cheaper than anywhere else? I would! What happens when they stop making the zed or the mods sell up? Looking at this site from a business view point the more people on it the more revenue and the enormous potential it has would be a shame to waste!

I'm sure none of these will be implemented but they may give food for thought. :)

If anyone in the team ever sells up, they will be replaced by people that do own a Z, or they may wish to stick around regardless. The site is primarily for the 350Z, and we would like to keep it that way.

Of course there is the pottential for so much more, but if we spread ourselves too thin, then we risk losing our sense of identity.

The amount of off topic banter already threatens to overrun the forum and start this loss of identity anyway. Some owners have already said that the amount of pointless chatter discourages them from visiting as regularly.

Our aim has been and still is, to continue to be a great 350Z oriented site for 350Z owners, would be owners and fans in general.

Some good points raised above, and Im sure this thread will have given the team plenty to discuss going forward, though for now I think the aim continues to be, for us to be the best 350Z site we can.

Sarnie, there are some good points there, but.....

I think you are looking at this site as a business opportunity, which it could be if that was our intention..... but its simply not, its meant to be about having fun with OUR cars and the love that we share for them...... :D

Sure you may see this as a lost opportunity but as Chris says, its hard enough running this place as a 350z site, without diversifying into other marques.

I don't think we are trying to be another Pistonheads or anything. You'd need to do it as a full time occupation if that was the case, and lets face we all have lives outside of here.

I think we have to stick to what's made us successful so far. As for ex owners sticking around. There has never been a problem with that as long as those people respect what the site IS about, remembering why they joined in the first place and that other people will now be doing the same. Just because they have moved onto other cars, doesn't mean that they have to forget all the knowledge that they have acquired etc!

As for ex owners, I can still think of a good few of the original people that we here when I joined that still post regularly. You are never got to get all of them to stay around and post as they did because the primary reason (the car) has since "left the building".....

:thumbs:

I agree mate :thumbs:

Just to clarify, I don't see it a business opportunity in the sense of money making just helping the site reach the masses, and get the 350z (and this site) really out there thats all.

Keep up the good work :)

I agree mate :thumbs:

Just to clarify, I don't see it a business opportunity in the sense of money making just helping the site reach the masses, and get the 350z (and this site) really out there thats all.

Keep up the good work :)

Ah ok mate,

But thanks for the thoughts....... they are always welcome and i'm sure we'll be discussing how the site goes forward at some time (if not constantly!)

Its interesting to compare with my350z.com where the US owner demographic is very different. Almost every thread I read ends up in personal, vitriolic exchanges which are completely uncalled for. There is also such a huge amount of traffic that it becomes daunting to keep up with and makes it harder to feel part of a community.

:dry:

No wonder Adam spends so much time here. :teeth:

My how right you are!!

I feel much more in common with the people here than I do with 90% of my350z.com, as well as our own local forum (tsz33.com). Certainly cannot fault anyone for being young - we all were there once, but I know how I acted when I was 18-21, and I know how many of those guys act now, and I feel very little in common with them. Alot of bravado (for no reason at all mind you). I guess it's just a generational or cultural thing perhaps, but I also think it has alot to do with ones life position. At 18-21, many are still in school, not necessarily working full time to support themselves or a family, etc. Your perspective is different than when you're in your late 20's, or 30's, 40;s, have a family, rent/mortgage, no one there to mother you, etc etc. One's attitude (I think) tends to change as life changes.

Anyway, I have to say, I love this community - and I look forward to making a trip there at some point to meet everyone face to face!

Adam

Anyway, I have to say, I love this community - and I look forward to making a trip there at some point to meet everyone face to face!

Adam

Awww good words fella!

Would be good to get you over sometime for a good old proper razz around some uk roads! You'll have to start thinking about when, then we can plan some drive out!

Adam

Awww good words fella!

Would be good to get you over sometime for a good old proper razz around some uk roads! You'll have to start thinking about when, then we can plan some drive out!

+1 :thumbs:

Adam

Awww good words fella!

+1 :thumbs:

+2 Would be good to meet you, mate. :thumbs:

I have remained a member of the GTO forum - even though I have to pay - for several years after I sold my GTO as I like the place and usually still go to the GTO Christmas Do.

Why??

Because they are my friends and I would loose touch with many of them if I didn't post occasionally.

I still offer bits of advice regarding the car as I did most of the work on mine myself and although I no longer have one the stuff doesn't change. I still sort out powder coated parts for them and have GTO bits in my garage.

You never know I might even have one again one day when they are vintage sports cars LOL!!

The point is they still make me welcome but I cannot vote on anything to do with the club as I no longer have a car which i think is right and fair.

I think it is healthy to have non owners on the site.

Ming the considered