Good quality, OEM looking double-DIN head units

pmorg4

Hi all

Is there such a thing as a quality OEM looking double-DIN head unit? Touch screen would be nice but not necessary, and preferably one with a volume dial. I'm a fan of the OEM look, but the extra features of aftermarket systems are nice (iPod/phone integration etc).

When I had my previous car with a single DIN unit, I had a great Becker unit that looked very OEM, but had great sound quality, build quality and a very competent iPod control. Unfortunately, Becker have left the aftermarket scene, and don't do anything equivalent in double DIN.

Key requirements:

No flashy lights (especially not blue lights!)

Quality tactile feel (no plasticky junk that feels like it will fall apart)

Preferably built in iPod, iPhone or similar control

Sound quality

I've looked around but can't see anything that fits the bill - most falling down on the flashy lights and/or displays point!

Any ideas?

Cheers :)

Oh and one more thing (how did I forget this!): No beeps that cannot be disabled! Yes Pioneer I'm looking at you!

If I ever reach a point in my life where I need a beep to inform me that I've reached out with my finger and pressed a button, I'll have far more worrying things to deal with :D

Thanks mate. That kind of thing is along the right lines, although the huge silver volume dial is a bit out of place. Could definitely be doing with a bigger display too - 8 characters is fine for RDS radio, but a few more characters is useful when browsing MP3 lists containing thousands of songs etc :D

Unfortunately at the price it's probably on a par with the standard head unit in terms of sound quality ;)

it all works (sat nav, touch screen, AUX input plays iphone with control through the head unit, steering wheel controls) and it sounds great. better sound than the standard unit.... but.... LOTS involved in fitting! modified facia adaptor, modified loom (completely different wiring and plugs!), modified aerial adaptor, gps aerial needed, Aux input plug needed, amplifier interface (unit is pre amplified so causes volume problems without this), spacers on the stereo mount and a lot of time scouring the web for wiring diagrams for both cars to match up wires from different units..... and it doesnt end there

it is possible but it aint easy and as far as i know mine is the only connect unit fitted to a 350z...

have a look about at units you like and start researching but it will boil down to taking the plunge and having a go! :thumbs:

The iPod hack is a great add on to the original unit, it's just a pity there's no way to be able to skip tracks etc from the unit controls. It's a bit fiddly trying to select tracks on an iPod or phone while driving ;)

It's a pity that the UK units are not compatible with iPod add-on control boxes.

Meh I don't think I will ever understand these threads :lol:

If you want OEM, keep the Bose HU and just use a AUX Lead or Cassette adapter for the iphone, granted you want ipod controls on the head unit, but if you want OEM thats what you sacrifice.

With the OEM HU you'd then need to upgrade speakers to get better sound quality (Even then it wont be as great as an aftermarket HU)

Maybe it's just a generation thing :shrug:

If you want OEM, keep the Bose HU and just use a AUX Lead or Cassette adapter for the iphone, granted you want ipod controls on the head unit, but if you want OEM thats what you sacrifice.

With the OEM HU you'd then need to upgrade speakers to get better sound quality (Even then it wont be as great as an aftermarket HU)

Think it's about keeping the look of the dash sleek and standard without having a Christmas tree on the dash :p that's how I see it and want it too.

• Like 1

Suppose you could spend a fortune fitting a headunit from another nissan car....?

I'm guess they might be interchangeable?

Think it's about keeping the look of the dash sleek and standard without having a Christmas tree on the dash :p that's how I see it and want it too.

True, I just think if you want iPod controls, Touch Screen is the way forward - As you can display all your playlists/Artists/Albums etc Can see at least 5-10 lines on a screen at a time as apposed to going through one at a time to find what you want.

Also the other bonus of the screen is at night time when it's pitch black, gives a nice little glow inside the car :)

The quality of sound after the hack was fantastic actually, far beyond the head unit's CD capabilities in both volume and clarity. The speakers are great (they are the Bose bit) but the head unit is just a Bose badged Clarion. I totally understand the want for controls being through it though.

Also the other bonus of the screen is at night time when it's pitch black, gives a nice little glow inside the car :)

This is exactly what I don't want - a bright display that doesn't dim at night which I find quite distracting when driving on unlit country roads. I want to concentrate on the road not the interior of the car ;)

I'm all for touch screens, I just wish they'd make one with a single good quality physical volume dial, and everything else can be controlled from the screen. No garish logos, plain black fascia etc, and a simple functional touch screen interface.

I'm surprised there aren't more android based head units on the market. They do exist but on the whole the reviews are not great.

• Like 1

This is exactly what I don't want - a bright display that doesn't dim at night which I find quite distracting when driving on unlit country roads. I want to concentrate on the road not the interior of the car ;)

I'm all for touch screens, I just wish they'd make one with a single good quality physical volume dial, and everything else can be controlled from the screen. No garish logos, plain black fascia etc, and a simple functional touch screen interface.

I'm surprised there aren't more android based head units on the market. They do exist but on the whole the reviews are not great.

Sounds like you need to go Kenwood, you can turn the screen off and keep the radio/mp3/iGay etc playing, no annoying beep, plain black and a volume dial. I'll try and dig out a picture of mine.

Edit: best I could find, I've got the colours set to green, but you can pick any you like.

544180_10151986705903879_105245031_n.jpg

Edited by AliveBoy