Good quality, OEM looking double-DIN head units

pmorg4

i decided to stay with the OEM but upgrade to the touch screen connect unit because of the simplicity of use... i sometimes find the after marked units far too complicated for simple things like switching radio stations or between CD and Aux for instance.

with an OEM unit the functionality remains very simple with push button change and simple dial control but i have the added bit of touch screen sat nav and no crazy sub menus within sub menus just to change the bass level for instance

i got better sound quality, it didnt cost a fortune and its still very easy to use when you are driving without having to take your eyes off the road to try and work out which sub menu to go to when you want to swap radio stations... down side is it was hard to do

Edited by SteveM

I think the double din screens with minimal buttons look the best. I have had a JVC since pretty much as soon as I got the car over 2 years ago, and this one looks the most similar to mine. Remember to budget c.£50 for the cables to connect it all up

http://caraudiosecurity.com/kw-av51-6-1-inch-wvga-touch-panel-monitor-with-dvd-cd-usb-recei

Does it have to be double din?

I had a space for a double in my R33 but decided to go for a single plus a spare drawer for *stuff* - i might even turn that spare space into an area for a boost gauge etc or who knows...

If I went to single DIN I'd just fit my old Becker Grand Prix unit. Looks great, sounds great and is very easy to use with built in iPod control and Bluetooth. Downside is no steering wheel interface, but it's so easy to use that's not much of a hardship.

These Beckers are so good they sell for around £4-500 on eBay with the iPod cable, as they're no longer made and there's nothing equivalent on the market.

Hmm you've got me thinking now - should I get the single DIN adaptor and fit to the Z?