Remote "out of sync" - [SOLVED] How to reprogram it.

Stutopia

So whilst The Shark went in to have an intermittent speaker cut out investigated, I also asked the electronics chap to check out my second key, specifically the remote part. The key's remote central locking has not been working for a while (replaced battery), and my primary key is fully functional. Anyway, after having a look at it he advised that the remote is still emitting a signal when you push the buttons, it's just not the one the car is expecting. Something like...

When you lock/unlock via remote, to prevent some enterprising thief from picking up your "signal" and then playing it back to your car and unlocking it, they rotate through (presumably a fixed) cycle of "handshakes". Therefore, only the remote and the car know what the next handshake is going to be. Apparently my second key has "forgotten" which handshake the car is expecting and the car refuses to play ball.

Now the questions:

1) does this all sound plausibly non-BS?

2) do I have any alternative than a trip to the stealer to get this resolved?

3) anyone else battled with this?

As always, thanks for any help.

Edited by SuperStu

Cheers Neilp.

If anyone stumbles upon this thread looking for the same thing, I found four threads, some different processes and only one thread reports anyone actually successfully executing a re-programme :(

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/15223-re-programming-the-key-fobs/

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/80350-how-to-reprogramme-key-fob-uk-models/

http://www.350z-uk.com/index.php?showtopic=46866

Winner: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/15186-how-do-you-program-the-key-fob-to-the-car/

Bit :scare: now as I don't want to brick my functioning remote, or erase its place from the stored 4. Given it might take a few stabs, I'll wait until Sat AM so I've got 2 clear days to nail it :lol: then update this thread.

• Like 1

Just did this, 5 minutes effort, though that included a minute of brown trousers when it wasn't playing. Couple of notes that would've helped me and may be of use to readers.

• Do it in front of a surface you can see reflection of the indicators' flash, as the dash indicators didn't light up.

• The initial 6 turns from LOCK to ON had to be done quickly, first attempt (although within 10 seconds) it didn't play, second attempt I really sped it up and it went into registration mode fine.

• When doing the 6 turns, make sure you push right through to ON and not one click too short.

• I couldn't just register my one problem key, I had to do both.

This manifest itself in the "problem" key starting to work fine but then the "working" key stopping working. So once you get into registration mode, make sure you register both/all keys, even if one of them was already working fine.

• After the first key was successfully registered (upon release of UNLOCK) I did not notice an indicator flash, as suggested in the process. I carried on regardless, took the first key out and inserted the second key for registration.

• Don't forget to turn the key to ON after you have registered the last key, to go out of registration mode :)

I simply cannot believe Nissan have the audacity to demand something like £45 for this process which took a monkey (me) 3 attempts and 5 minutes to action correctly.

keyfob_zps437eb5c1.jpg

Usual disclaimers apply, for info only, if you brick your Zed or your key or both, it's not my fault.

Edited by SuperStu
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

Thank's for posting this, picked up my first 350Z earlier this week after looking for quite some time and finding a 2004 with only 26K on the clock but expecting to have to re-sync as one of the key fobs didn't work and I'm not sure how long the battery had been flat for.

I ordered a couple of replacement batteries which came this morning and replaced the dead battery expecting the key fob to not work, luckily it did so I changed the other battery as well so well chuffed.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought two cheap eBay fobs since my car (2003 Track) just came with two aftermarket keys. The last link (thanks SuperStu!) worked to get the car into program mode, but the fobs didn't work. Does anyone know specifically which non-OEM fobs work, whether eBay, Amazon or other? Thanks in advance.

Has anyone with an HR managed to make this work? I certainly can't, having tried countless times. I just called an auto locksmith who said that this procedure only works for the older models and for my car, I should just put a new battery in the key and it will work straight away. Not sure if he is correct or not but nothing is working for me at the moment

Just spoke to a different locksmith who said special equipment is needed to programme the Key and they would need a working key and the non-working key to do it. Price of £65, which is more than Nissan! Getting sick of this. Every 'professional' I've spoken with (4 today) has given a different answer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...