Tailgate not releasing fully

Trev-the-Rev

I'm guessing that this might be something to do with having just had my Nismo rear spoiler fitted, but when I press the tailgate release button now it doesn't fully disengage.

Anybody had this problem and what or is there a remedy?

100% due to the extra weight mate.

Try the 2p trick (insert 2p coins at the bottom of the black springy things attached to the boot) that could help.

Also get rid of the extra weight bolted on the tailgate (access it by removing the plastic cover and you'll see it easily.

Lastly, get your delaler (if the car is under warranty) to mount uprated boot struts like I have done... Nismo spoiler is an official item ;)

I'm guessing that this might be something to do with having just had my Nismo rear spoiler fitted, but when I press the tailgate release button now it doesn't fully disengage.

Try the 2p trick (insert 2p coins at the bottom of the black springy things attached to the boot) that could help.

Also get rid of the extra weight bolted on the tailgate (access it by removing the plastic cover and you'll see it easily.

Lastly, get your delaler (if the car is under warranty) to mount uprated boot struts like I have done... Nismo spoiler is an official item ;)

+1

Counterweight would be the first point of call :thumbs:

If you can take off tailgate trim without breaking a few plastic rivet/clips your a magician!! :teeth:

Need a trim removal tool. I got one of these bad boys off fleabay for a fiver

a0_1_b.JPG

I learnt this after trying to remove some trim to fit the carpc and broke a clip. Did the same panel again and it was a doddle. :thumbs:

Nevr knew such a thing existed, I broke about 4!! :teeth:

Neither did I until I found that there is a Nissan tool mentioned in the 350z service manual. Couldnt find a Nissan one, but that one does the trick :)

• 1 month later...
Just an update. I eventually got around to removing the counter weight in the tailgate today and the problem appears to be solved - thanks for the tip Val.

Good stuff :thumbs:

Break any clips? That tool I posted above worked a treat for me, had the whole of the rear interior out to put in 40sq/ft of Second Skin sound deadener and not one broken clip! :teeth:

A few guys in the US have tried the penny trick, a few having put too many pennies in, and dented the hatch.

Just for the record. My GT4 needed replacement struts after 12 months as the tailgate wouldn't fully open due to the Nismo spoiler and that was a factory fit :)

Just had mine done and I havent even got a spoiler :D

Mine were replaced 3 weeks after I got it..... only had 5000 miles on it when I picked her up. I first noticed the problem when it bloody hit me on the back of he head :headhurt: