Do breakdown/recovery insurers report incidents to the motor insurance database

Dynamic Turtle

I've had a couple of accidents in the past three weeks - enough to warrant calling out the breakdown/recovery insurers but not bad enough to warrant making claims on my main vehicle insurance policy once the excess and premium increase costs are factored in.

Do I have to tell my main insurer about these events despite the fact they were relatively minor incidents not involving any 3rd parties (thank god). Furthermore how would anybody (reasonably) know about any past accidents that may have occurred before they bought the car? Could an insurer invalidate cover on that basis?

The breakdown policy does not state that it shares my details with any "group companies" or reports details of any callouts or accident recoveries to a national database, but my car insurer's policy says:

In order to prevent and detect fraud insurers may, at any time pass details to Insurance Hunter, a central insurance application and claims checking system, whereby it may be checked against information held by Insurance Hunter and shared with other insurers.

However it does not state that I need to inform them about any accidents I pay to repair out of my own pocket.

Anyone had issues in this area before? Oh and I need a new front bumper in kuro if anyone's selling :)

DT

Edited by Dynamic Turtle

If there's no third party, and you're paying for repairs yourself I personally wouldn't bother telling the insurance company. They'll only use it as an excuse to ramp up your premiums. As for the breakdown telling them I would say that was highly unlikely.

As far as I'm aware there is no way of checking if a car has had a minor bump via an HPI check etc. That will only highlight things like cat C/D claims.

Of course these are just my thoughts and someone more knowledgable may be able to advise you better but I think I'm reasonably accurate there :-)

• Like 1

Hunter is a fraud avoidane system used by insurers.

Technically yes you do need to declare it if the insurer asks if you have had any 'accidents' (not just claim in the last X years......a question which they all have tailored to cover this kind of scenario.

I would seriously doubt the breakdown company subscribe to Hunter and Hunter is voluntary rather than compulsary.

• Like 1