iPhone navigation through head unit

skahigh

Hi guys,

I think I know the answer to this but perhaps someone knows of something I don't.

I'm looking to replace the factory bose head unit in my car and along with ipod control (and spotify) I'd like to be able to use the navigation apps on my iphone (something like google maps or apple maps) through the head unit screen.

I don't really listen to CDs in the car so I'd actually prefer a mechless unit.

I believe MirrorLink provides functionality like this for Android phones and I know Apple have just announced CarPlay but it seems like this appearing in aftermarket units could be some months or years away.

Does anybody know of a head unit on the market that would support this functionality or am I going to have to decide whether nav is important enough to me to spend hundreds more on a head unit that has this already integrated?

Jon

Hmmm, thanks for the suggestion. I was rather hoping for something that would use one of the more well known mapping apps like google maps but this may do the trick.

Also, any idea if Spotify can be played and controlled through one of these?

Brilliant thanks all, I've ordered these four items from InCarTec, does that look right?

Also reserved an appradio 3 at my local Halfrauds (£299.99 seems like a decent price looking around online?)

Edited by skahigh

Just fitted the App Radio - free satnav app works like a dream - the radios screwed but thats an aerial issue getting fixed Thursday. Could use a few more apps but well happy and looks very good in the console

• 2 months later...

Just thought I'd update this thread with my observations of the AppRadio.

Have had it a few months now and although it looks quite nice in the dash I'd say the unit is a little slow and unresponsive and the range of compatible apps is pretty poor.

I really only use it for radio (which is good) and playing podcasts occasionally, spotify I don't really bother with as the ec touch app has a tendency to crash. Bluetooth connectivity is good and making/receiving calls works well.

I also have a big irritant with it asking permission to launch the control app every time you plug your phone in or want to switch to apps mid-drive, makes it really awkward as you're driving along as you have to get your phone out and press the screen.

Finding similar issues the allow access is a real pain. Found I get less hassle by switching on unit - connection phone - start radio app

Also wasnt impressed had to cough up £40 for the apple adaptor to make it work

Unfortunatley the unit locks up far to often which mean you need to unplug your iphone which also means you are then committing a motoring offence if like me its not fixed in a base

One thing to note is that that there are 2 usb connector that look identical but one does power only so if you do disconnect make sure same one is used.

The free satnav app works well, The media player app is very tempremental and sometimes work some times doesn't. The bluetooth quick play always works but tracks are random. The firmware on the unit is not good - If anyone had a BlackBerry Storm then on a par with that for crapness. The unit is really screaming out for a firmware update to fix this . A another minor thing that annoys me is you can't change the from the 4 supplied backgrounds - or if you can then I can't find out how. The radio is good but for £400 notes this is distinctly below average due to the limited apps and functionality thereof Looks good - but reality is Prepare to be underwhelmed

And if anyone can tell me how to get my ipod classic wired in them be very grateful - tried all combinations of wires and the ipod icon stays greyed out. Probably need another adaptor - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Edited by Mudman

Finding similar issues the allow access is a real pain. Found I get less hassle by switching on unit - connection phone - start radio app

Also wasnt impressed had to cough up £40 for the apple adaptor to make it work

Unfortunatley the unit locks up far to often which mean you need to unplug your iphone which also means you are then committing a motoring offence if like me its not fixed in a base

One thing to note is that that there are 2 usb connector that look identical but one does power only so if you do disconnect make sure same one is used.

The free satnav app works well, The media player app is very tempremental and sometimes work some times doesn't. The bluetooth quick play always works but tracks are random. The firmware on the unit is not good - If anyone had a BlackBerry Storm then on a par with that for crapness. The unit is really screaming out for a firmware update to fix this . A another minor thing that annoys me is you can't change the from the 4 supplied backgrounds - or if you can then I can't find out how. The radio is good but for £400 notes this is distinctly below average due to the limited apps and functionality thereof Looks good - but reality is Prepare to be underwhelmed

And if anyone can tell me how to get my ipod classic wired in them be very grateful - tried all combinations of wires and the ipod icon stays greyed out. Probably need another adaptor - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Mine came with the correct adapter for iPhone 5 so no complaints there.

The iPod option is also greyed out for me but, after reading the manual I discovered this was intentional behaviour. Still not sure I understand it though.