Free stuff for stereo help!

Daryl

Well after some ignored PM's from the original 'famous' owner of a sterio I bought on the forum from another member, I was wondering if anyone wanted to help me fit the mass of wires iv got that are meant to resemble a sterio. Iv looked at the super guide on here, and that helps a little, but still very nervous about getting stuck in with it. Does it get easier when you can see all the cables behind the dash?

Happy to supply food, donuts, or anything else required to anyone that wants to help out. I live in Milton Keynes but will travel if that helps. I think i can fit the reversing camera and the mic for the phone, but its just the wiring up that baffles me.

Any help is appreciated.

Edited by Daryl

Don't be put off by all the wires bud.

Every time I've installed a new head unit there will be loooaaads of wires. All labeled up saying Front Speakers, Rear, Sub etc - But the Majority of the cables will just end up into one plug. And thats the plug that you connect to your Adapter/Head unit (Vise versa)

Just don't be freaked out by the wires, just take your time - have a look at what each one is. More or less they will only go to one place :thumbs:

Yeah thats not the problem though. Iv fitted a fair few HU in my time, but this has loads of unlabelled wires and as it was previously fitted to a car, has some connectors on there that dont appear to go anywhere.

Ah that's crap :dry: I'd go in with - What's the worst that can happen :lol:

I know that the wires that are currently plugged into the main loom are for the speakers, but iv got some that I have no idea where they are meant to go. Iv got the steering wheel loom, which is fine, and the little one on the top right is for the BT, but where am I meant to put the yellow and black cables, and what is the extra blue cable for, as it has a bullet connector on it.

Edited by Daryl

:lol: - One of them is the grounding wire for the screen (Please tell me it's a double din other wise I'm completely wrong :lol: )It will be the wire to allow movies to play - Either permanently touching metal to always allow you to watch, or attached to the hand break.

Yellow looks to me like it's for additional speakers, or maybe sub? Unless the sub is already plugged into the loom.

If it was me, I'd plug in what I know, and see what you have left. Turn the car on, see what works and what doesn't.

If something isn't working check to see what cable's aren't plugged in.

- Long yellow = speakers I think

- Short yellow on the left for sub I think.

Yes it is a double Din, sorry should have said that. The yellow and black small cable is labelled Mute, and the thicker one at that end says Battery, but then it has another cable sprouting from that too. Any ideas on the purple one towards the bottom with a bullet connector on it?

Think il have to have a stab and hope that I dont blow anything up/melt anything or throw my toys out the pram.

So anyone fancy a beer round mine.....

Thanks for your help Grundy, you have already been more help than the person who's car it actually came out of.

Cool, thanks. It dont look like its been connected to anything, previously, but dont know for sure.

Do you have the make/model etc for the headunit? you might be able to download the manual from the manufacturers website, they normally have a wiring diagram in them which will tell you the starting pin of each wire. If you then trace it forwards to the connector block and label them up we might be able to help more. :)

• Like 1

Any idea why i have 2 cables going into one for the battery?

One would be permanent live and the other would be for the ignition so it only turns on when the car is running. Putting them into 1 can save the hassle of the permanent live and draining the battery

Edited by AliveBoy
  • Like 1

One would be permanent live and the other would be for the ignition so it only turns on when the car is running. Putting them into 1 can save the hassle of the permanent live and draining the battery

So shall i just try each one and see which one is just for the ignition?

The standard headunit has two power cables, one for the radios memory and then the ignition for everything else, they SHOULD correspond on the cars connector block to the radios connector block. So if the radio only needs one power input, they may have been joined to make this happen.

Edited by AliveBoy

Red is normally Live and Yellow is Ignition

You are alot closer..... :teeth:

Maybe so, but I'm far from a stereo man, give me some cast aluminium any day......

Looks like you're getting some answers along the way, and agree, plug in what you can, see what doesn't work then go to the next wire and see what happens. If it all works, leave the wires that you don't need behind the headunit.

Job done... see, wasn't that hard was it :lol:

• Like 1

Wires_zps11578401.png

1. Speaker - match this up to the corresponding colour in your car.

2. Speaker - match this up to the corresponding colour in your car.

4. I *think* this is the remote switch to turn on an external amp from the HU if you have one. Possibly needs to be plugged into the yellow daisy chained lead but not sure (6)

5. Switched LIVE. Plug into 11.

6. See 4

8. Into the back of your HU

11. See 5.

Edited by marzman

Wires_zps11578401.png

Okay lol...

Label 1-11 what you think each is (Just label the one's you know)

1. Looks like speaker wire

2. Looks like speaker wire too

The cars power etc connector block should plug in next to these.

3. Doesn't look too used

4. As the above, agree with Marzman

7. GPS transponder with mic? Looks like it has a spade connector which could plug into another wire? Maybe 10?

8. Plugs into head unit

9. Mute cable

Edited by AliveBoy