Perfect friggin end to a crappy day......

Jacko

What a poo end to a rubbish day! I'm trying to stay chilled about this as no big loss, just annoying and a little warning for some of you lot......

Right, I'll try to keep it brief as I can....

Got into our Knowsley office early this morning about 7:30 to miss the traffic in as gotta travel M60/M62/M57. Had a really crap day where I just couldn't get a lot done and couldn't wait for the day to end. Anyway, I normally leave there about 4-4:30 to miss traffic back (well most of it) bearing in mind gotta get back to north manchester.......but as this day was crap, I thought sod it going to leave a little early so I left at 3:30 with a view to carrying on work when I got home...

I'm going back home on M62 about 15 mins later, when hear about the M60 is shut due to a massive accident that closed some junctions clockwise (the way I go). So I thought, ok once I get to M60 junction, I'll carry on M602 in towards Manchester as I have a route I can do to miss out the M60. So lots of traffic on M62 all way past M60 turning (which was a major car park) and lots going into M/C as a lot of people must be taking different route. Anyway, the way that my back way route goes was really busy, so I thought ok will head towards M/C and go past MEN Arena/strangeways......

So making slow progress up through Cheetham hill when see lots of flourescent jackets on side of road. Assumed they were checkin for tax discs/dodgy cars as pulling some over but I slowly creep through......

Carry on my route which involves taking a right then a left and I turn left at a sort of T junction. See a police van going the opposite way around this bend and then he hits some traffic...... anyway I'm still crawling along when I can see what I thought was another van in traffic way back and getting past cars now and again. He must have u turned and long story short ends up behind me by flashing the car behind (that pulls over) and he's up my backside. Next min, the lights are on so I pull over....... :thumbdown:

So long story short, I've got pulled as my numberplates are "ever so slightly" smaller than legal size. They aren't offensive script or anything, just that they a little smaller. In his words "You might think this is a bit harsh etc" but he goes onto explain why.......

Sods law i've got a traffic cop in a van, (he got the short straw he said), so he knows what he's on about. Anyway he was a good bloke, and we had a good chat about stuff and car etc, and obviously I was trying to get away with just a warning, but no such luck. They are under strict instructions to give fines to people at the moment, no warnings..... this is all being instructed because of....

And this is the important part, due to the rise in terrorism and the important parts that ANPR (Automatic number plate recognition) is playing across the country in tracking suspicious cars etc, they are on a major look out for any plate that can't be read by the system. All GMP cars and vans now have it installed. The guy had just been travelling the other way, when he noticed my car (as he'd took one out for a test drive last weekend) and must have either thought the plate was "different" or just wanted to make sure all was well and not nicked etc. So he'd gotten back behind me and the system couldn't read my plate...... the fact that I was stuck in a massive line of traffic going through Broughton made it very easy!

So basically, he was telling me that at the moment there is a massive push with ANPR more than normal (due to terrorism).

They are having a massive clampdown on non standard plates (and this won't just be GMP). Anything that the system flags as unreadable has to be dealt with on order of their C.I.

They don't do rectification notices and warnings. He said they not allowed to as its a DVLA issue. They give fines initially but no points..... when they out checking they have lots of patrols just driving around mopping up as well.

So a warning to anyone that has a plate not strictly legal through size, script or spacing. If the system can't read you when they checking somewhere, there is a good chance that you'll get a tug. I also noticed they were on the M62 this morning on bridges, with Traffic cops on slip roads, probably to mop up people like me!

So for finding all this for you lot has just cost me £30, but at least no points and now I need to get my plates changed again!

And if I hadn't left early, took two detours, been stuck in traffic or worked from home today then I wouldn't have got pulled (well today at least!) and would have had an extra £30 drinking money! :blush:

Well at least it only took me 2 hours to do a 35 mile (normally 45 mins) home journey. If I'd have left later then I probably would be getting home about now

:wacko:

I am sure with all the motoring programmes and media in general at their behest the government could have said "look this is a terrorist issue, get satndard plates or else". Got to be cheaper than having their cars chasing number plates, unless they just want a chance to stop people and claim expenses at £30 per shout! :dry:

Probably the wrong type of rain.

Signal Failure at West Hampstead would you believe. All trains out of St Pancras were cancelled. They don't have the concept of backup systems. If this was an air traffic control system planes would have crashed.. :thumbdown:

Sounds like someone who cant use his own discretion to me. I can understand the reasoning, but sounds like a bit of a step too far.

More probable is the fact that if ANPR cant read the plate, they cant automatically generate fines from the nice little yellow boxes that hover over roadworks etc.

Seriously, what sort of terrorist is going to try and hide in a bright frigging blue 350Z with bling wheels and a dodgy number plate. I know these people havent got the brains they were born with, but thats just plain stupid even for a would be terrorist.

How excatly will ANPR help track vehicles used by terrorists if they dont know the number beforehand. Moreover it would take a pretty dumb terrorist to try and hide by putting an illegaly spaced/font plate on a car, which is just asking to be tugged.

Sounds like the goold old safety camera partnerships have spotted how they can use current events to encourage police to ensure more cars can have the £30 fines applied automatically.

Mines stopping as it is and they can have the £30 if they so wish. What a pathetic and useless stance.

Is it any wonder the law abiding citizens in this country have all but lost every ounce of faith in the policing when the police are under instructions to be as harsh as this on these sort of issues.

I'm afraid they now have this terrorism excuse. When I changed my front bumper I couldn't be arsed taking the plate of the oem bumper and since I had another plate (different characters from standard but perfectly readable...rear plate was perfectly legal) they stopped me on the M62 at 8.30 in the morning to give me the same £30 fine, the excuse they gae me was that if I'd been in an accident, say a hit and run, a witness could have not remembered the plate due to the different (and perfectly readable) characters. Bollox, excuses excuses only because you are jealous of my car, mate :rolleyes: . I told him when he was handing me the £30 fine (had tried to be nice and polite to try and avoid the fine, but he was quite resolute) why wasn't he catching the many speeding motorists on the same motorway, or even those driving while chatting on their mobile. He couldn't give me an answer, I say probably a bit too much paperwork as there's points involved :rolleyes:

PS took me over 1 hr to get home from 5.15pm from Warrington mate, so you wouldn't have escaped the traffic anyway leaving later :(

Yeah've thought of all the same things as well...... but Chris those sort of reasoned arguments don't wash do they when you having them with a copper. To be fair he was a nice enough guy, and obviously a car fan as tested the 350z (allegedly) the week before, but if I was in his position and pulled me, then I'd have given a warning. No one would have known and he'd have probably got me to change them more over by that means that £30!!

One thing that I'm thinking about, and wondering whether Ming will have the answer is that now that I've been tugged for it and given this Offence Code 400: "Which is letters not conforming to standard" (they were excepted as being legible).....

whether if I don't replace the plates or get a another pull in the mean time as to whether thats on record and next time I get points etc....or would they just do the same thing etc?

Or does it not go on record and then if I did get pulled, would they not know about yesterday??

Anyone know? Is Ming around?

The maximum penalty is confiscation of theplate and £1000 fine I think (at leat thats what I remember it saying on the notice from the DVLA).

It obviously gets on my nerves the fact that the police are obviously under instruction from higher powers to pay attention to these "offences" (no doubt because of their instant revenue generation). I mean seriously, turning round at a motorway junction and then fight through traffic to give someone a tug for a slightly incorrect plate? How pathetic.

What gets on my nerves even more is the blatant double standards shown by the DVLA themselves.

There are certain number plates that will spell names or words if mis spaced alone - and these numbers sell on the DVLA's own website for huge sums of money compared to "normal" personlised plates.

They price them this high because of the very fact that the digits can be mis-spaced, yet then go on to allow prosecution and fining of individuals whn they do the very thing that they have increased the value of the plate for in the first place.

Its completely pathetic, they can spout this terrorism lark all they like, its complete and utter BS, and the pwers that be have spoted an opportunity to rake in more money from the good old motorist.

How on Gods green earth anyone can suggest an illegaly spaced numberplate on the front is illegal because you could get away with a hit and run is well beyond my comprehension.

How does that rule apply to Motorcycles?

It wouldnt have got me off the fine, but if I had been in your shoes Val and the copper had used the hit and run argument to justify your fine for the front number plate, I would have asked what would happen if somone was the victim of a hit and run motorcyclist and any witnesses only visible side of the vehicle was the front?

Ive been done twice for number plates, once on my plate and once on Tracys'. The first time I was driving through our town centre on a Friday night on my way home.

The cop car actually followed me past a pub where two bouncers and three youths were getting into an altercation, preffering to stop me a few minutes later to issue the £30 fine.

Ever since then they can come up with any argument they wish to try and justify these £30 fines for number plates, none of them wash. Its all about cash generation and easy targets.

Unfortunately its the powers that be increasing paperwork on more serious offences, decreasing it on these type of offences, and setting financial targets - the end result is inevitable. We will simply see more of these offences "dealt with", rather than others.

Eventually you will be able to get away with stabbing someone in the face, safe in the knowledge that the police will be far to busy dishing out £30 fines and producers for trivial motoring offences.

All of the above are my opinions and not necesarily the views of this web site by the way.

and breathe..... :blush:

Guest prescience

What is the attraction of these plates to people anyway, particularly those that "spell" out words and don't?

Jacko, it stays on file but only in that force, so if you get pulled outside of manchester it would not show up :)

Ok mate, so basically, say I get pulled tomorrow again as they having this "clampdown" and I've not yet had chance to change the plates...... then they would do a check as per standard procedures and it would show up that I'd just been given a £30 fine........

Guess it would just depend on copper as to whether I got off, or another one (and obviously dependant on time since fine). I'm just wondering whether to change plates or not I guess......

Anyone that has seen them will know that they not exactly offensive! No misspelling or misspacing...... its purely that the size is ever so slightly below the legal requirement.

But I guess thats my fault! (I know I don't have a legal leg to stand on).... :blush:

I'm not changing mine. It'll cost nearly £30 for new plates so I'll keep mine thanks...... :)

Yeah but what I'm worried about is whether the next time would be points or rectification etc......

If its £30 again, then thats not that bad? You see what I mean?

I'm not changing mine. It'll cost nearly £30 for new plates so I'll keep mine thanks...... :)

Yeah but what I'm worried about is whether the next time would be points or rectification etc......

If its £30 again, then thats not that bad? You see what I mean?

They can't give points for this offence apparently. Its a fine or after persistent offending (upwards of three detections) they have the power to take the plate. The chances of you getting a tug must be very very small. I've been pulled four times and never once have they mentioned my plate :)

I think the attraction is personalisation. For instance I have my first initial and then a number and letters which spell my surname, Tracy has similar (well come the wedding next year the plate will match her surname anyway :lol: )

As for different font or style on plates that dont actually spell anything, Im not too sure, perhaps its a styling thing, just another mod I suppose?

Im currently runing the Altea on its 07 plate, and have no desire what so ever to mis space or alter th plates in any way - but when its a series of letters/numbers that mean something to me then yes I may tweak them.

As for different font or style on plates that dont actually spell anything, Im not too sure, perhaps its a styling thing, just another mod I suppose?

Yeah mine was just styling..... wanted it to look a little funkier, but didn't want to take the pi*s so kept it pretty much simple. Just that the numbers are ever so slightly too small. Its not even a complicated font or anything....... to layman it looks the same.....