Y Pipe Go Boom :-( Cat gone too??? Advice Please!

Darren350

Hey guys, I have owned my 2004 Nissan 350Z for less than a day and already managed to wreck it.

Coming out of my inlaws gated driveway I marooned the car on a severely badly graveled section, this is dead in the middle of the gate so you have to go over it, very slowly. (First time I've been to their new place too!)

I heard a crunch and the car stopped, couldn't pull away slowly or reverse slowly, just more crunching, because the exit is located on a blind bend I HAD to get the car out and soon before someone pulled in and smashed straight into the car, so I gave it a bit more throttle and managed to get the car off.

It sounded HORRENDOUS and now it's back home I can see that I have managed to pierce / wreck BOTH flexi sections on the Y Pipe. Smoke is bellowing from these sections so the car is currently not driveable.

Is there a chance I have wrecked the cat too though? I PRAY that I haven't but with my luck if I fell in a barrell of tits I'd come out sucking my thumb.

Also, is there an aftermarket Y pipe without those fragile flexi sections? And where can I get one from?

Help and advice will be really appreciated!

Chris at Tarmac Sportz sorted me out a Stilen Y pipe which does without the flexi's. Was very hesitant at first, as the flexi's are there for a reason, but the fit was spot on and iv not had any issues with anything else. Other traders like Clark Motorsport will probably also have other options too. I doubt the cats are wrecked, they are pretty sturdy and will protected

• Like 1

Cheers guys. Out of curiosity how many pieces (That you can purchase) is the exhaust made up of? I am about as mechanically minded as my great aunt Judith so buying a performance car such as the 350Z might have been the wrong move. But I love them and always wanted one so thought sod it.

I think there are 3 main sections after the cats aren't there? The Y pipe where the split comes directly off of the cats, this then straightens into another straight pipe which finally goes into the large backbox? So that's 3 main bits?

I'm considering buying a complete new exhaust whilst this bits dead as I had plans to slightly modify the car anyway.

Guys, Longlife exhausts have quoted £150 to replace this section. That includes VAT and apparently will take about an hour and a half. This doesn't sound too bad as the cheapest I can currently find just for the Y pipe is £130. I'm not exactly flush at the moment so will probably go down this route. They have said they can convert it to a single flexi though, what does this mean in regards to sound, performance, legalities etc? If any.

Thats right, three parts to the exhaust excluding the cats. Its Cats > Y Pipe > Centre Pipe > Back box

Just for piece of mind I had a Longlife exhaust made up for my old MR2. Was excellent quality so im sure you wouldn't have any issues with it.

Thats right, three parts to the exhaust excluding the cats. Its Cats > Y Pipe > Centre Pipe > Back box

Just for piece of mind I had a Longlife exhaust made up for my old MR2. Was excellent quality so im sure you wouldn't have any issues with it.

Ah right, nice one. To be honest I want to get it fixed ASAP so as not to diminish my enjoyment of the car, they've booked me in for 9AM tomorroow. Good thing about Longife is that if the exhaust is aftermarket then they are custom building something that fits with the system on the car. I don't want to order a stock Y pipe to find out the exhaust isn't standard.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! Quick update, had it done the day after I did it at Infinity / Longlife. Cost 150 quid inc VAT. They removed the old one and built up a new one whilst I waited.

I was there a few hours but boy was it worth it. Highly recommended! Instead of 2 flexis on the Y tops I have 1 flexi on the straight section.