Upgrade to later model HIFI with DAB?

Space Cadet

I have a non-DAB-non-SATNAV Bose system in my 2010 370Z. The sound quality is great listening to CD's, but the radio (which I listen to most of the time) reception is only FM and not the best quality. Is it possible to retro-fit a later model's DAB unit (don't know if there even is one, but just guessing there must be)?

Thanks

Edited by Space Cadet

If you wish to have DAB radio, you will have to invest in a new aftermarket headunit with DAB capability or DAB add-on capability

+1.

The pure dab is an option but that uses fm to send the signal to your current headunit so sound won't be as crisp as a proper dab. Some people swear by them though.

Ok, thanks. I just assumed there would've been a DAB unit introduced in a later model and that I could retro-fit. I don’t want to fit an aftermarket unit and just had a look at the DAB add-ons and they seem to involve extra screen mounted aerials and then remote controls to change channels, I don’t really want to go to all that hassle.

Thanks anyway.

Be aware that DAB is pretty poor quality, far better listening to FM unless its DAB only of course

Sent from the golf club...

You think so? I perfer the sound of dab. The smaller channels seems to have worse quality for radio 1 and 1xtra where very clear.

Excuse my ignorance but why's that? I've always found it to be much better. Our other car has both FM and DAB and it sounds much better through DAB.

I completely agree but for example listen to radio 1 on dab then listen to kiss or another smaller station. The quality isn't as good for some reason.

Be aware that DAB is pretty poor quality, far better listening to FM unless its DAB only of course

You think so? I perfer the sound of dab. The smaller channels seems to have worse quality for radio 1 and 1xtra where very clear.

Yes sorry the BBC channels are very high bitrate and are fantastic but most of the others are really poor, some are even in mono I mean really? Is it 1971? If it is then watch out for TOTP's :scare:

• Like 1

I guess it depends on whether the radio station has invested in the broadcasting gear to maintain a decent output signal

I think they have gone for quantity over quality, fine if your listening on a little radio in the kitchen but woeful on anything half decent :yuck:

I have a single DIN JVC dab head unit.

Had the screen mounted aerial.

Quality is fine to me and have the option to switch between FM and DAB.

Get the occasional drop out in built up areas but never enough to bug me UNLIKE THE ORIGINAL BOSE SKIPPING CD!

I only wish I went for the blutooth model.