My trip to Abbey

wizurd

cheers dude - thank god mate. Glad to know your cars up and not down on power. Didn't fancy you having anymore problems considering what you've already gone through.

I've got my graphs and i will post em up but speaking with Abbey tomorrow first.

If i'm being honest suppose i'm a little disappointed with the figures, still got an increase and realistically the cone induction filter probably cancels anything out of the plenum spacer, so the only actual mod that would help then would be the hfc's.

Can't wait to actually drive the car though because i know there should be a significant change in the drive.

Will post em up tomorrow and also on Saturday i'll get some more info up.

Already making a list of everything else i want to do lol clutch, uprated arb's, coilovers, etc

Evening all

Finally got some time to post :-)

So just to recap, love the sound the car is making now. Can't believe the effect that the hfc's makes. Sounds more aggressive now when accelerating and makes some really nice kind of rasping/whoosing noises when coming off the power. Hard to explain but safe to say it's led to me driving back and forth through the bryn glas tunnels around by me a few times lol.

As for the actual drive. I've noticed a sharper response when pulling in the lower gears and weirdly i'm finding it easier to pull away in her, perhaps less jerky. I'm not sure if these are actual changes or in my head but i'm fairly sure these are for real.

As for the brakes with the new HEL lines. Not really noticing anything yet. Still good breaking and i'm guessing i'll have a better idea come the Wales meet next year ;-)

Wasso's plenum spacer is looking very gold lol and nice. Pic below

20131215_134339.jpg

I've got a carbon intake tube to put on now as well (just can't help myself) so i'll need to get the plenum polished and the engine bay should be looking a bit shinier :-)

Ok as for the actual figures on the dyno. I've attached all the pics i've got of that.

On the graphs the red lines are the before and the purple ones the after.

The before are taken with the mod's fitted prior to uprev and the purple is mods fitted after uprev.

I'll try my best to explain them although i'm hardly an expert so if anyone see's any issues with what i've said let me know lol

NY54AUF_2.jpg

So with the AFR (Air Fuel Ratio) i've got a leaner profile i guess you could say as it raises through the rev ranges. To me seems like a better smoother general line as well.

Fly Wheel Torque - as you can see i've gained about 10 lbft which i thought was quite good. Also it's across all of the rev range plus it means the torques dropping off later in the rev range, so i guess more usable torque.

Next graphs

NY54AUF_3.jpg

The left one is the same torque but without the division by the final ratio. So to me it just shows the same as the graph above.

And then we get to the bhp lol

So as i'd said above i was kind of disappointed with the numbers. But then i realised that the figures are at the hub. Did some reading and there's a loss of anything between 10 - 15%. Regardless of that i've still managed to gain 12.9 bhp with really just the hfc's probably adding anything to the mix. I'm now not so disappointed plus (partly just to make myself happy lol) i calculated that a 12.5% increase to get the flywheel bhp would give me a pre uprev of 286.2 and a post of 300.7 :D

I know i'm probably over estimating the loss but bugger it lol

The most important thing is the gain which isn't a bad one considering, even Mark said that he was very pleased with the results from the car, so that's saying something.

Drive wise, like i said, she's definitely more responsive, more fun to drive, sounds nicer and i know will stop better when pushed.

All in all very happy with the work from Abbey and they accommodated my rather awkward weekend times without issue. All in all a very friendly group of people i found.

So next for me with regards to any bhp gains is the big decision on FI or not. It won't be anytime soon if at all, but i know that without chucking A LOT of money at the car i won't get a massive amount more if i stick with NA mods. It is still a tempting thought though to get a really free revving NA beast.

Some light weight pulleys and a new uprated clutch (possibly fly wheel) are in the nearer future, plus some body work mods (most importantly a respray).

Got to be said I am seriously chuffed. When concentrating too much on just the numbers i think you can miss the point and that's that i've got a car that puts a smile on my face everytime i drive it and that just keeps getting better and better as i'm adding and changing bits on her.

Now i just need a few more credit cards so that i can do more stuff!! lol

• Like 4

Glad you're happy with the results wizurd. I was starting to wonder if you got home ok or if you where just too busy driving around enjoying it to post. :lol:

I've got Berks HFC's & Invidia Gemini system going on Wednesday so can't wait to hear what the Zed sounds like afterwards. :D;)

Glad you're happy with the results wizurd. I was starting to wonder if you got home ok or if you where just too busy driving around enjoying it to post. :lol:

I've got Berks HFC's & Invidia Gemini system going on Wednesday so can't wait to hear what the Zed sounds like afterwards. :D;)

With the berks and the invidia that will sounds awesome :D !!!

Been mega busy at work so haven't had much time to post.

Going to take the car out for a drive in the week. Need to take a day off this week to do some shopping and may as well take the zed since she's sounding soooooo good. Seriously chuffed with her that's for sure.

What to do next though!

we'll all have to meet up soon to see for ourselves :thumbs:

disagree with your earlier post though........................bragging rights is everything :stir:

nah - chuffed for you mate and the future sounds interesting too

stirrer indeed lol

I am chuffed with the gain. Would love to get her up to 400 somehow, but there's other mods i want to do first now, i.e. clutch, suspension, bodywork and respray.

And yep wouldn't mind another meet sometime. Probably after christmas now with the way things are for most people. Although may park in your fav John Lewis car park on Thursday when i'm off, so might see you there lol

Glad you're happy with it and I'm hoping mine will sound awesome, ....kind of guessing it will though. :lol:

Done all my Christmas shopping so I'll have to come up with some other excuse to drive it this weekend ~ not that I really need one. :D

never really need an excuse lol

I was beginning to wonder too! I think the gain is quite reasonable and as you say perhaps the air intake is losing you a few hp. Main thing is you feel that it drives better. Glad you're still enjoying it and look forward to further installments . :thumbs: