SVA test

pollarj

I am importing a 350Z ST and I am trying to find out what is required for the SVA test? I have searched through the forum but can't seem to find the answer. CAn ayone who has done this before help?

As far as I can make out I need to modify the following:-

Speedo to mph

Lights change to normal bulbs

Add rear fog light

Is there anywhere I can get a list of the mods needed. I would like to do it myself to save some money if possible.

Any help would be appreciated

I bought mine from an importer, who had the SVA done as part of the deal.

I know they definitely had to convert the speedo to MPH and add the rear fog light (they fitted it into the existing housing so it looks fine). I don't know about the lights. Mine are Xenon units, and they are stock as far as I know. What may have happened is that they had to change to ordinary units for the test, then replace the Xenon units afterwards. I think there is something about that on one of these threads on here.

One thing to make sure of is that you get the BIMTA certificate with the car - that guarantees the mileage on the car at auction in Japan as genuine.

All the best with it, and I hope you get a good one. :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Try typing ESVA into google you'll get loads of info and if you go to gov.org or dvla I'm sure it gives a full rundown of whats required.

You'll need a rear fog light, speedo changed to MPH, fuel restrictor, a model report - this can be rented but its not cheap and I think a min CAT2 imobiliser fitted by a qualified fitter, but even then it has to be tested:surrender:

Not sure if it would be easier to give it to a company to sort out - or are there any owners/dealers out there how have done it for themselves.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just an update for anyone thinking of doing it themselves.

I finally got the car on the road at the weekend.

First of all the things that need changed:-

Speedo conversion to mph

add fog light (it can't be in rear light cluster for sva test)

Xenon headlights must have washer and be self levelling.

Immboliser needs cert of compliance

I ended up using a company who didn't modify the headlights as it was such a pain.

Anyway first sva test in kent failed for headlights not having washers. Also failed fog light has to be at flat to the back of the car, make sure its not angled in anyway. Also wouldn't accept immboliser cert.

Second test adjusted fog light slightly and went to different test centre, did nothing else. Failed on ecu. The number was slightly different to the purchased report. Check this before you go for your sva as I didn't.

Third test finally passed.

All in its a very long process. I bought the car in June from auction. I used autoadvan to buy the car and they were more than helpful. Even when the car turned up without any service books they tracked them down in Japan and sent the to me. I would recommend them.

With the sva test its seems like one centre will pass the car where another centre will fail it for the same thing. Its worth asking around to see what centres other people use.

All I need to do now is get the car waxoyled. Can anyone recommend someone reasonable in Surrey? And unfortunately I got hit with the £300 tax mentioned in another thread.

• 3 weeks later...