G-Techniq C2v3

ilogikal1

Okay, some of you may recall that Waxybox had a sample of C2v3 in about 5 or 6 boxes ago now I think. Well, I chose to keep hold of mine to use as winter protection on the Z this year, which I finally applied about 3 weeks ago now.

Now, bear with me here, you may be aware that I like to "experiment" with and test detailing products so although C2 is my primary LSP, it may not surprise everyone that, that's not true of the whole car. On the other car in the household I'm trialling Finish Kare products for the winter - namely #303 followed by #2180 and all topped with 1000P (or variations thereof on certain panels). Back to the Z, as the DE bonnet is handily separated into 3 sections I'm testing durability and how FK1000P and C2v3 play together. So on one side I've got a layer of FK topped with C2, the middle section has just C2 and the other side has C2 topped with a layer of FK.

The rather soggy weather we've had pretty much since applying, on the one hand, demonstrated some good beading but on the other hand has prevented me from cleaning the car until today. So when I set about giving it a wash all was well and good until I got to the final rinse which is when I noticed something a bit odd... namely, the middle section of the bonnet was sheeting considerably slower than either side. This struck me as odd as I'd expect the side with FK on top to differ (if at all) as two thirds of the bonnet were topped with C2, however I did notice the sheeting was similarly slow over the rest of the car either which is wearing Cherry Glaze topped with C2. There's clearly plenty of protection left on the whole car as it's still beading just as strongly as 3 weeks ago consistently across the bonnet regardless of which LSP/section (yeah, it rained again just after I finished washing the car!) and it is still sheeting, albeit slowly.

My only thought is that maybe the C2 hasn't bonded well with 1000P under it so that's worn off already leaving the 1000P as the LSP on that side too, I'm guessing if this is the case then protection on both sides of the bonnet will start to deteriorate at a similar rate as the 1000P starts to fail (so I could be in for a long wait to find out :lol: ). Anybody else have an explanation or opinion on this?

I love it when other people experiment with products so I don't have too and I get an honest unbiased opinion from them but I'm not too up to date on all the available products so have to say some of that went over my head. :lol: Be kind please ilogikal1 but a few questions; What's LSP? also what's Cherry Glaze? ...is it a type of wax?. Just wondering as well if I was to use C2 would I wax my car then apply as a top coat or use C2, then wax over the top? Sorry for what are probably pretty newbie type questions to you. :)

I love it when other people experiment with products so I don't have too and I get an honest unbiased opinion from them but I'm not too up to date on all the available products so have to say some of that went over my head. :lol: Be kind please ilogikal1 but a few questions; What's LSP? also what's Cherry Glaze? ...is it a type of wax?. Just wondering as well if I was to use C2 would I wax my car then apply as a top coat or use C2, then wax over the top? Sorry for what are probably pretty newbie type questions to you. :)

No problem, we all had to start somewhere. :)

LSP - last stage product.

Cherry Glaze is an AIO (all in one; polish, glaze and sealant). To be honest,I only used that because I was too lazy to do a full correction and wanted to mask some of the swirls I had inflicted by being too ham-fisted with a new clay bar. C2 can be used over a wax but that might affect durability, because it's bonding to the wax rather than the paint it'll depend entirely on how well/long the wax bonds to the paint. Personally, I tend to use either a sealant OR a wax rather than both... unless I'm experimenting then all bets are off. :lol:

Correct me if i am wrong, but shouldn't C2 be applied after the area has been cleaned with ISP because it bonds better to the paint ?

ISP? Do you mean IPA? It'll offer the best durability laid onto bare paint but G|Techniq state it can be used on top of other products too. I accept that I won't get the best out of it on top of a glaze, but as above I couldn't be a*sed to do a proper 2 stage polish at the time. It'll be interesting (to me at least) to see just how the durability differs between the panels with Cherry Glaze and the section with nothing under the C2 though.

Edited by ilogikal1
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info ilogikal1. I'm really just getting in to real detailing products despite my first real job at 16 as a car valet. :lol: Always looked after my cars ~ two bucket method for washes, full waxes etc every week, ...but only now since reading some of the car detailing threads on here has my garage detailing supplies increased but I'm still really finding out what works best for me. I use "Turtle Wax Ice synthetic wax" which tbh is the best I've ever used so I'd want to use C2 in conjunction with that probably if I did use it.

So I have c2v3 and find its longevity to be average at best, despite IPA wipedowns, paint cleanser wipe downs etc.

I kinda figured that, being so cheap, it was essentially an alternative to a QD with enhanced protection, akin to dodo red mist etc, rather than a hardcore protection option.

If you prepped the zed, applied exo or crystal lacquer etc, I'd expect super longevity. I'd then use c2v3 to top it up after maintenance washing

Thanks for the info ilogikal1. I'm really just getting in to real detailing products despite my first real job at 16 as a car valet. :lol: Always looked after my cars ~ two bucket method for washes, full waxes etc every week, ...but only now since reading some of the car detailing threads on here has my garage detailing supplies increased but I'm still really finding out what works best for me. I use "Turtle Wax Ice synthetic wax" which tbh is the best I've ever used so I'd want to use C2 in conjunction with that probably if I did use it.

There is loads of product that now doesn't leave my collection that you need in your life mate.

Some key highlights being Finishkare 1000p - so easy to use, good looks, lasts ages and can be used in paint, wheels etc

Their QD fk425 is also my standard use product.

Zaino Z8 is amazing too. Kinda like c2v3 but way glossier

• Like 1

Perhaps you're right, Downhuman, and I'm just expecting too much from C2. With claims of 6-8 months protection (admittedly on bare paint) I'd be happy to see 3 months from it to be honest. Will just have to wait and see what it actually offers though.

I do agree about 1000P and 425 though, they are both excellent products.

Yeah, I generally take manufacturers claims of longevity with a pinch of salt, which is why I like to try things for myself. I take much more stock in other people's reports of what they've actually gotten from a product, but even then I don't take it as gospel.

Waxes aren't so much of a problem for me as I tend to want to try something else long before they wear off anyway. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

If you like mental sealants you should try Sonax's new Hybrid NPT sealant. The beading and sheeting is insane and for £20 for a can is worth a try. Apply to a bare base (IPA wipedown after full decontamination and claying - or IPA after paint correction) and prepare to throw the rest of your sealants in the bin!

• 1 month later...

Well for the benefit of anyone who cares (and to save GMballistic some time/expense of experimenting ;) ), I've been playing again.

Firstly, a week or two after the first post I washed the car again and the sheeting behaviour has changed - namely the sections topped with C2 are now sheeting at the same rate as each other again with FK sheeting slightly slower. It dawned on me that the only change in my wash routine was the shampoo used. First time round I used Chemical Guys Mr Pink, which I've since realised does contain gloss enhancers so this could well have been affecting the water behaviour. I've since used G|Technique G Wash and Car Chem Tailor Made (which don't leave anything behind) and the sheeting's much more uniform between the panels topped with C2 and those now topped with FK.

Secondly, I've also topped up several panels using diluted C2 (roughly 3:2 - I simply topped up the remaining ~20ml in the Waxybox sample with de-ionised water to make ~50ml) and using it as a QD. That was 5 weeks ago now and two coats give a much slicker finish than just the one, it's also easier to apply the second coat too (not that applying the first is not easy of course) and those panels with two coats of C2 on are staying cleaner and sheet water quicker than those with just the one coat. I've had to resort to doing productive things on a weekend because the car just doesn't need cleaning as much and even when it does, it doesn't take as long any more.

Thirdly, I've been playing with waxes on top of C2 on the roof. I tapped off several sections so each section is separated by bare C2 to make it easier to see the difference in water behaviour and finish. I applied Angelwax Desirable, Poorboys Natty's white, FK1000P, and three Waxybox waxes - May's #008, the Anniversary wax and the Halloween wax. The latter three lasted 2, 3 and 3 weeks (give or take a couple of days) respectively before disappearing to nothingness, Desirable and the Natty's are just about hanging in there and FK1000P is still going strong 5 weeks later.

Finally, I accidentally left an open pot of Waxybox wax on top of a radiator - I got distracted by something shiny. As soon as the heating was switched on, it did a good job of making the whole room smell of the wax... luckily it was one of the nicer scented waxes (it was the winter wax blend, #006, I think in case you're interested), so I left it there. It's still making the room smell very pleasant indeed, weeks after the other waxes have failed on the paintwork.

So to summarise; know your shampoos before blaming the LSP, use 2 coats of C2, C2 plays well with other LSPs and previous Waxybox waxes make better air fresheners than they do waxes.

• Like 1

Very interesting read ilogikal1. ;)

After some recommendations from Ekona the other night I have even more products I'm going to be trying in the new year on my Zed so it's always good reading your posts about your own little experiments. Save's me spending a fortune on too many products you see. :lol::thumbs:

Must admit mate I don't use the waxy box waxes except on the bathroom ceramics. The newer ones are ok, maybe for a friend's car or something.

My staples for looks and longevity are fk1000p, bouncers vanilla ice and zaino

Next year I will do a full machine polish of the car as being made redundant so will have some time... Then will apply some artdenano for experimental reasons

Must admit mate I don't use the waxy box waxes except on the bathroom ceramics. The newer ones are ok, maybe for a friend's car or something.

My staples for looks and longevity are fk1000p, bouncers vanilla ice and zaino

Next year I will do a full machine polish of the car as being made redundant so will have some time... Then will apply some artdenano for experimental reasons

Sorry to hear you're being made redundant. Is it an early retirement thing then if you're of that age or are you going to have to find another job?

It will give you more time to fettle with the Zed though I guess but most people need an income, ..unless you're super rich of course. :teeth:

Nah I'm 30 mate so not retirement. Been at company for 12 years so thought I'd take the cash and try something new. Assuming I find something....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Sound's like you had a good run though at 12 years. Longest I've been in a job at one place is about 3 years. :thumbdown: I'm 34 btw.

My current job is great though and I love it so I'm lucky that the job I was in previously to this one made me redundant when they did otherwise I'd have never found this one I'm in now. Hopefully something better and more to your tastes will come along.

Good luck with the job search in the new year. :thumbs:

Good luck with the job hunting, Downhuman, I hope land on your feet mate.

If the worst comes to the worst, you could always start up a detailing business. If DW's taught me anything (other than how to spend all my money), it's that you only need a bottle of SRP and a microfibre to do that for a living... :lol:

The Waxybox waxes have been getting better, which I suppose is the point of them really considering it's a development wax, but I've never been a fan of wet on/wet off waxes and I found these to be a bit too grabby when buffing for the soft Nissan paint for my liking - I've been meaning to try them on harder paint actually, so I might do that with the Anniversary wax as I got some of that in the Xmas box. I do always try them on something, usually my laptop or similar, but they rarely make it onto my car and when they do it's only small patches because I just can't be a*sed killing myself to buff them off larger areas.