Some quick questions

holtehero

Ok, i'm finally picking my car up Friday lunchtime

I have been driving a company car for 10 years and have forgotton what i should expect to collect along with the car.

I assume

- Car keys - how many should i get, i guess 1 main, a spare and i also recall someone in another thread mentioning a valet key?

- Service book and handbook

- V5 document, without part signed by previous owner which has been sent to DVLA

is there anything else?

I know i need to tax the car straight away.

Also, i have just bought a personal plate for the car, should i wait until the V5 has been transferred or can i transfer the car and add the registration all in one go?

Ok, i'm finally picking my car up Friday lunchtime

I have been driving a company car for 10 years and have forgotton what i should expect to collect along with the car.

I assume

- Car keys - how many should i get, i guess 1 main, a spare and i also recall someone in another thread mentioning a valet key?

Should be 3, as you say 2 main keys and 1 valet key, cost me £110 to get a new one made, also see if the key # has been written down in the back of the manual, not vital but handy to have.

- Service book and handbook

And any bills\receipts, again handy to have.

- V5 document, without part signed by previous owner which has been sent to DVLA

If a private purchase I'd offer to post off the rest of the signed form, then you know it's been sent, unless you are buying from a dealer.

is there anything else?

Before you hand any money over have a good look around the car.

I know i need to tax the car straight away.

Also, i have just bought a personal plate for the car, should i wait until the V5 has been transferred or can i transfer the car and add the registration all in one go?

As long as you have the small green receipt part V5C/2 you can get the private plate transferred immediately at any local DVLA office. This also ensures that the V5 will be transferred into your name as they put a stop on the old one and order a new one for you there and then.

Obviosuly the car will have to be taxed before you can do this. They give you a new tax disc there and then, new MoT if needed, and a certificate to get your plates made up and you're off!

Piece of cake

They are unlikely to let you walk away with the whole V5 as you could then not post it for a few weeks and clock up a few speeding tickets. You will be fine with just the bit you need off the bottom, just make sure it's all signed etc. And yes, as mentioned, MOT if it needs one and any service history paperwork bills etc. As for the private plate, I think that has to be done at a local DVLA office unless you do it afterwards by post which is very quick anyway. Good luck!

They are unlikely to let you walk away with the whole V5 as you could then not post it for a few weeks and clock up a few speeding tickets. You will be fine with just the bit you need off the bottom, just make sure it's all signed etc. And yes, as mentioned, MOT if it needs one and any service history paperwork bills etc. As for the private plate, I think that has to be done at a local DVLA office unless you do it afterwards by post which is very quick anyway. Good luck!

Hear what you are saying, but the receipt I would give to the seller to say that I had taken possession of the car for £x amount dated on the day of transaction would I think negate any chance of that, although, not positive on this, I believe the seller is legally obligated to send the V5 themselves...

yeah absolutely they have to send it. Sometimes people are lazy though aren't they. I did once hand the whole thing over when a bloke bought my golf gti but said he wanted to put it in his wife's name and she wasn't there to sign the paperwork - I only thought after he'd gone how daft I was doing that but it was ok in the end.