Twin engine race kart - what you reckon?

AndyC

I'm thinking of getting involved with a few mates to buy a race kart. Its a twin engine with spare wheels/tyres and a couple of spare engines etc.

To buy it will cost me about £125-£150, the plan is for us to then to then have a season racing it - Three Sisters etc :teeth:

Asides from entry fees etc I can't see it costing a lot - any repairs we can do ourselves and its very basic kit. Anyone any experience that could give me some advice?

I really, really fancy this :thumbs:

I'm thinking of getting involved with a few mates to buy a race kart. Its a twin engine with spare wheels/tyres and a couple of spare engines etc.

To buy it will cost me about £125-£150, the plan is for us to then to then have a season racing it - Three Sisters etc :teeth:

Asides from entry fees etc I can't see it costing a lot - any repairs we can do ourselves and its very basic kit. Anyone any experience that could give me some advice?

I really, really fancy this :thumbs:

You need a MSA race licence, check the kart is up to date with the latest rules for the class you are going in for.

I ran 100brit some years ago, if you are just in it for the fun it can be cheep.

Have Fun :)

We all just had a bash on Saturday nite, 17 of us. Which is really what has got us thinking, forgot how much of a crack it was :thumbs:

I'd love to get involved in something like that B)

We'll be doing another at some point mate, I'll let you know :thumbs:

You need a MSA race licence, check the kart is up to date with the latest rules for the class you are going in for.

I ran 100brit some years ago, if you are just in it for the fun it can be cheep.

Cheers for that :thumbs: I haven't even thought about race licence (how do you go about it/costs etc?) or even looked into classes either so thats really useful thanks mate. I wouldn't mind picking your brains at some point if thats ok?

Cheers for that :thumbs: I haven't even thought about race licence (how do you go about it/costs etc?) or even looked into classes either so thats really useful thanks mate. I wouldn't mind picking your brains at some point if thats ok?

Here is a good place to start http://www.msauk.org/site/cms/contentViewArticle.asp?article=2321

We all just had a bash on Saturday nite, 17 of us. Which is really what has got us thinking, forgot how much of a crack it was :thumbs:

I'd love to get involved in something like that B)

We'll be doing another at some point mate, I'll let you know :thumbs:

Yeah, let me know, i'd come up to manc if needed. I need a hobby apart from buying zed parts, not fitting them an selling them at a loss :headhurt:

Yeah, let me know, i'd come up to manc if needed. I need a hobby apart from buying zed parts, not fitting them an selling them at a loss :headhurt:

Yeah, it aint great business in anyone's language mate is it???

Look on the bright side though mate, at least you're really good at it :p

From what I've been looking at guys, they go cheap! Think around the £500 mark and you'd get something half decent.

There's plenty of sessions of practice etc where you don't need a race licence although we will probably be doing the majority of ours at Three Sisters (nr Wigan) as its the closest. WHEN (as it very much looks like its happening) we're up & running and we're used to the kart ourselves I'm sure that the boys wouldn't mind a few others turning up and having a bit of a blat.

Also Sinbad/Jacko if we're short at any point I'll let you boys know :thumbs:

A fast kart on a proper racetrack - how cool does that sound?

Been checking out the MSA site in some detail (thanks again Smoky :thumbs: ) and its pretty cheap for licences etc.

You'll love it Andy :teeth:

We bought 6 Twin Honda 160cc engined Pro-Karts recently (my, my bro 4 friends) and we go every thursday night. We got them for £450 each.

We're "testing" at present - getting our lap times down until they plateau, then we'll start stripping the karts of weight (bumpers & things) to further reduce our times.

It's great fun though :drive1:

We're planning on having more Endurance Races too b'cos they're great nights full of excitement. We recently had one with 9 teams (of 3 drivers) taking part - Beavis & Chesterfield came along and enjoyed themselves too.

We've not chosen to get into "proper" racing. Yet. I imagine that gets a bit technical and expensive what with having to re-gear the kart for various tracks (short, windy tracks need karts with acceleration, long tracks need top speed), various tyres, chains, sprockets etc; but maybe when we're bored of testing and racing between ourselves we'll want to race properly.

Anyway, figure out where you'll store your kart(s) and transport them and you'll never look back! Get insurance too.

:thumbs:

You'll love it Andy :teeth:

We bought 6 Twin Honda 160cc engined Pro-Karts recently (my, my bro 4 friends) and we go every thursday night. We got them for £450 each.

We're "testing" at present - getting our lap times down until they plateau, then we'll start stripping the karts of weight (bumpers & things) to further reduce our times.

It's great fun though :drive1:

We're planning on having more Endurance Races too b'cos they're great nights full of excitement. We recently had one with 9 teams (of 3 drivers) taking part - Beavis & Chesterfield came along and enjoyed themselves too.

We've not chosen to get into "proper" racing. Yet. I imagine that gets a bit technical and expensive what with having to re-gear the kart for various tracks (short, windy tracks need karts with acceleration, long tracks need top speed), various tyres, chains, sprockets etc; but maybe when we're bored of testing and racing between ourselves we'll want to race properly.

Anyway, figure out where you'll store your kart(s) and transport them and you'll never look back! Get insurance too.

:thumbs:

Did you pick the karts up 2nd hand?

Yeah endurances are top, hard work though eh? Couldn't make the last one mate but if you do another I just may come along.

Tbh the actual racing side doesn't seem to cost that much, I mean the things are pretty basic engineering with not a lot to go wrong. Plus as we're a team any costs are shared 4 ways which obviously lightens the load. With the gearing side you're limited to only a couple of choices anyway and some of those you wouldn't do for various reasons. The big attraction for me is getting onto a proper track with a kart, I just see that is gonna be a big blast!! We'll get our asses kicked big time I've no doubt (and probably by 12 year olds) but it'll be a great laugh.

Storage is sorted - Jon has a BIG garage which has been mega strengthened (he's big into bikes so has a bit of cash sat out there). Transport we're looking at using Al's battle bus Astra estate in the short term (we reckon it'll go in the back), long term a trailer and/or Transit or something similar is on the cards.

Insurance, not really thought about - you got any contacts???