Air Bag Light has started Blinking...

Grundy

Hi guys,

Had the zed for about 5 days now, everything is fine and I'm loving it!

However got in the car this morning and the Air Bag Light randomly started blinking at me. Nothing changed, not touched under the seats etc, done the same I've been doing for the past 5 days of owning it.

Did a quick google search and was given tricks on how to reset and clear the light:-

-Turn ignition on

-Wait 7 seconds for the light to turn off

-Turn car off within 1 seconds of the light switching off

-Repeat the above 3 times.

Now the first time I did that it slowed the blinking down, before it was On Off on a 1 second ratio, it was now 2-3 second ratio. Then when I stopped my journey and did the same again, this time it stayed off for a few minutes then came back on and this time was back to the original 1 Second Ratio.

Hope that makes sense, did a quick forum search of 'Air Bag Light' but couldn't find anything so apologies if there is a thread on this already.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

Matt,

The airbag system has two modes - the User Mode and the Diagnosis Mode. You switch back and forth between the two modes using the ignition key procedure you used. Switching to the Diagnosis Mode doesn't clear the light; it lets you identify the problem.

In the User Mode the airbag light simply tells you there is a malfunction. Normally the light comes on for 7 seconds when the ignition is first turned on, then goes out. If it blinks after the 7 seconds, as yours does, there is a fault. If it stays on steady, there is a more serious fault, such as an airbag or seat belt tensioner that has deployed.

In the Diagnosis Mode the blinking pattern tells you which component is at fault. There are over a dozen blinking patterns, with combinations of long and short on times. The best way to tell which component is faulty is with the Service Manual. I know that UK manuals are virtually impossible to find, but the US manual may help.

• Like 1

Just as an add on, check you horn!! My airbag warning light has been doing its 'thing' for a while, after checking the seat plugs etc and many resets it was still flashing. Then the other day I went to beep the horn and it wasn't working, so after fiddling around with the wiring in there getting it to work now the reset on the airbag light works, must have been a dodgy connection up there.

Just as an add on, check you horn!! My airbag warning light has been doing its 'thing' for a while, after checking the seat plugs etc and many resets it was still flashing. Then the other day I went to beep the horn and it wasn't working, so after fiddling around with the wiring in there getting it to work now the reset on the airbag light works, must have been a dodgy connection up there.

The airbag warning light is to let you know there is a code in the system, if your horn wasn't working then that would have been the code. 9 times out of 10 though its to do with the wiring under the seat.

• 4 weeks later...

Did you get to the bottom of this mate?

I have the light flashing up too now! Tried the ignition thing and it just made it flash slower.

Nope, mines still going :lol: I've read that sometimes it can be caused by things falling under the seat, I.e. passenger drops a lighter, bottle etc. Check that first.

Since it's come back on, i've not tried the reset again. Need to try it again.

(Btw you the one on the same table as me yesterday? :lol: )