Lightweight fly and new OEM clutch

andyvvc

Bit of a pointless post thus far (weather has been crap so I've not really been able to play with the car). However, thought my initial findings after having a lightweight flywheel and new OEM clutch fitted might be useful to someone.

- My car is an HR engined (bonnet buldge) Zed with the slave cylinder for the clutch INSIDE the gearbox (neat idea Nissan). Given how much of an ar$e that would be to replace if it fails a few weeks after geting the clutch and fly done, a new unit was fitted at the sametime as the OEM clutch and fly

- the bite-point on the peddle has shifted from its previously quite high position to mid-peddle. It also feels far smoother and easier to engage gears at any given speed (probabaly stating the obvious here lol)

- the clutch peddle now feels LIGHTER than it used to do. (This might simply be the new clutch fluid)

- lightweight flywheel chatter (AKA making the Zed sound even more agricultural lol). Yep, they chatter. But not really where i expected them to. At idle (at least on the HR setup) the fly doesn't chatter at all. Nor does it chatter on cold-idle (1,500rpm). However, when accelerating (under load) from 1000rpm to 1800rpm approx, there is a slight 'chatter' noise. Sounds kinda like something wants to shake itself loose from inside the bottom of the car. It's noticeable but (with the Greddy and Stillen intakes) not really that noticable.

- adjusting your driving style to keep above 1800rpm at all times prevents any chatter. TBH i only hear it when pulling away from lights etc, so hardly needs to be avoided. But by adapting my driving style a little i have avoided revs dropping into that threshold when pootling along in town.

- it's a lot more, erm, revvy! With the clutch depressed the RPM needle now swings violently from 750rpm to redline quicker than a quick thing that's going quick (imagine Bennet in Wales here. That sort of quick) B) I've yet to drive it in anger due to the weather, but i assume the acceleration from a standing or rolling start might feel a little quicker, as should in-gear pulls at other speeds.

- bottom line: if your clutch needs doing, don't risk getting the old fly skimmed, just buy a new lightweight one from one of the excellent traders on this forum.

Cheers to Cougar Store (great to finally meet Mitz!) for the fitting and Z Man for the parts. The car feels a lot easier to drive with a clutch and fly that aren't almost completely worn out !

Edited by andyvvc
  • Like 1

just fitted a lightened flywheel and an uprated clutch to mine seemed silly not to change it as i was replacing the engine good job too i dont know how the old dm flywheel was holding together dont know what people are complaining about the chatter is hardly noticeable and definatly more revvy i was going to stick with a standard dm but im going to do a rear mount turbo setup next year and looking at the one i took out i dont think it would last long

We have Competition Clutch single mass lightened flywheels in stock for the DE and HR

http://www.clarkmotorsport.co.uk/parts/Single-Mass-Lightweight-Flywheel/7.96-kgs/2-630-65

http://www.clarkmotorsport.co.uk/parts/Single-Mass-Ultra-Lightweight-Flywheel/6.3-kgs/2-350Z-STU

We also keep various clutch options, just drop me a PM if you need any help

Ewen

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: A few weeks of lightweight flywheel ownership

CONS:

It's noisy if you dont adapt your driving style at lower revs (sub 2k).

It might kill my clutch/gearbox sooner than a dual-mass fly because it doesn't absorb the pulsing from the engine, instead passing it to the clutch and gearbox unless you obey the first point above.

PROS:

Rev happy at all times.

Blipping the throttle with the clutch peddle in is lightning fast now.

Acceleration feels less restricted in first and second...kinda like the rubber-band that limits throttle application has been neutered a bit.

Car seems to pull a little better in all gears on WOT.

Installing a lightweight fly means you will end up wanting an UpRev too.....

I want an UpRev too.

Noise aside, I'm glad i went with the lightweight option rather than an OEM fly. It's nice to have replaced a part due to normal wear-and-tear but also scratched an upgraditis-itch too :lol:

• Like 1