Stolen/Recovered Insurance Query - Just wonderin'

14N

This question was asked today and no one really knew the correct or black and white answer. I thought I'd ask you guys on behalf of those still left wondering....

Bit of a messy question, but bare with me. At what point does a car become stolen/recovered. (And don't say "when it's stolen and you get it back" which was my answer).

Bit of background - it was noted that stolen/recovered cars are often seen significantly cheaper than their non-stolen counterparts. And this scenario was put forward:

Car is stolen, reported to insurance and police but shortly later is found (by the police) and recovered, undamaged to its rightful owner. Is this now classed as a stolen/recovered car as nothing has been paid out by the insurance? The owner now has his/her car back, but has lost a significant amount of resale/trade in value because of the stolen/recovered status.

Can you refuse to accept the car back, even if it's in an acceptable condition?

If you phoned an insurance company and ran through a quote with them and when asked about claims you said,,,, I had a bump but I didn't go through the insurance. That insurer would have to record that as a claim as you have disclosed it to them. I would imagine if you had disclosed this to an insurer they will no doubt put it on there records but thats me just thinking out loud. Might not be the case.

As far as I know it's only recorded "stolen/recovered" if the insurance has paid out.

Truth. This man has it.

If you phoned an insurance company and ran through a quote with them and when asked about claims you said,,,, I had a bump but I didn't go through the insurance. That insurer would have to record that as a claim as you have disclosed it to them.

Not true, it would be recorded as an accident but not a claim.

Edited by Ekona