why fit spacers? (forgive the daft question)

davedutch

Are there any handling improvements ( or disadvantages) with fitting spacers or are they fitted purely for the cosmetic benefit and from what I've read would I be right in limiting them to 20mm to avoid rubbing the arches.

This pesky zeditis is going to drain my bank account over the coming few months i just know it, it starts small and creeps up all innocent like.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will offer technical advice. I think they are cosmetic, but also let you fit different alloy/tyre combinations. If you put up what version you have, your tyre sizes and alloys then others can advise on your options.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will offer technical advice. I think they are cosmetic, but also let you fit different alloy/tyre combinations. If you put up what version you have, your tyre sizes and alloys then others can advise on your options.

I fitted them after spinning the car one day going around a slow bend on a wet road. After fitting my cornering confidence has risen dramatically. They definitely make a big differance IMO. They look good on the car as well. One of my best mods!

Technical difference all depends on the wheels and tyres you're using with them. Fitting spacers pushes your wheels out further, which in theory, makes the distribution of weight different, probably lowers your center of gravity a little, but also can make you more likely to tram line in ruts caused by trucks etc.

Essentially, if you want to fit them, fit them, but my personal recommendation would be don't go over 20mm, because extending the distance between your wheels by more than 4cm is kinda silly, unless you've planned it and actually done the science behind why you want them that far apart. As for not going over 20mm so you don't rub your arches, that will all depend on the offset of the wheel and width of tyre you're using, it won't be the same from Z to Z unless those two factors are identical.