Multi car, seperate policy claim query

14N

Maybe a question for the insurers on here, but I thought I'd ask this as I'm currently thinking about getting a 2nd car.

OK, so I appreciate that you cannot apply any NCB gained/used on one car/policy on another. So, for my potential second car I'm having to get quotes with zero NCB. But here's my question/scenario...

Car A. - Main car, multiple years protected NCB

Car B. - Second car, 1 or 2 years NCB (so not yet protected and unable to use NCB from Car A)

Have accident in Car A and make a claim. NCB not affected on renewal of Car A as it's protected, but would you lose the NCB on Car B at renewal time as it isn't protected, but the claim was not made on that policy (could even be a different broker).

Seems unfair that as an idividual driver you are not permitted to apply a discount gained for a good history to two policies, but if a claim is made on one, the other is affected.

You wouldn't lose any NCB but would have to declare the accident and pay more anyway.

That is my take on it. The claim would be on Car A so Car B is not affected with regards to NCB. But, the entire policy as a whole will be affected as you have made a claim & thus next year your premium will go up regardless as a result.

• 2 weeks later...

I have three seperate cars insured and two years ago was daft enough to claim for a minor bump.

If you are honest you need to advise insurers about all claims and yes it will affect your ncb across all policies.

All my policies have 70%+ protected ncb and all policies withheld any additional ncb for that year.

You dont actually lose any ncb in this example but if you dont have protected ncb you will lose some or all of it your policy should tell you how much ncb you lose for each claim if not protected.