Hi. looking to buy a GT4 this weekend.

Guest magzm8

Hi

Update on the weekend. The Ultra Yellow GT4 in question was No. 124, had done 22k miles and was advertised at £23,995. When I arrived at the dealership the first thing I noticed was the amount of stonechips on the front of the car. A lot of them were down to the white primer and some on the front panel were down to the plastic. I found it disturbing that the dealer had made no effort to touch up any of these let alone make any atempt to polish the car, it was in a poor state and the paint felt very rough, not slippery at all. :thumbdown:

The salesman eventually appeared after I'd walked around the car a few times and had time to inspect every panel and check the tailgate struts for leaks. When I enquired as to what preperation the car would go through when it was sold, he just said they had a guy that would come in and touch up the chips with a touch up stick. I would have expected a little more work than this as they were so bad.

After a brief conversation the salesman left me to go to see another "punter" and I was left to look at the interior. Again I was dissapointed at the level of abuse this car had suffered, to the point where I suspected it had actually done many more miles than the 22k odd on the odometer. The centre console had a hole the size of a 5p piece with a sticky glue surround. The ash tray was missing and the bottom of which had a hole in it too ( obvioously where some device had been fitted with wires going under the tunnel ) The gear lever had dirt ingrained into the alloy "Gear number stamp" on the top and the leather was very badly worn ( Maybe by a large ring ). The wheel was also worn in the same way. The drivers seat was not too bad but showed signs of cracks in the leather.

By now I had made up my mind I was not even going to make an offer on the car but I still needed that all important 1st test drive of a "Z". B)

The salesman came back and after the insurance document was filled in he let me out on my own for 30 minutes.

First impressions were a little odd as I was straight out and into traffic. The car felt very enclosed ( after my Golf ) and the overiding factor was one of compactness. I pootled for about 10 minutes and got used to going up and down the gears. ( Nice change )

The windows were soon down however as I found a nice back road and ragged it till the change light came on.. How cool is that? and what a noise ! :yahoo: The acceleration was very brisk and the gears fell into place very well. I'm embarrased to say I was expecting a few rattles from the interior but after finding a bumpy section of road I was very pleased to find everything screwed together very well with not a squeek.

It was soon obvious that you become cocooned in the car and it seems to shrink around you, it felt very secure and the cramped feeling soon passed as i started to enjoy the handling. I did think the alloy "Z" bar across the rear turrets was a distraction in the mirror though.

It's surprising how quickly 30 minutes goes when you're having fun and I soon had to be back into the city and the traffic.

To sum up I was very impressed and will be deffinately be looking out for a well looked after "Z". The handling was just superb and although I didn't disable the traction control, I could feel the rear coming into play on some fast roundabouts. Compared to my GTi, the buid quality was not up to the same standard, but then I got the impression that this example ( 124 of 176 ) had been abused and looked very unloved. :thumbdown:

Iv'e always thought my GTi was quick and would not be craving more than 200BHP. As we all know, power corupts and we soon get used to it. The "Z" impressed with its smooth delivery and the torque curve certainly has the GTi beaten fair and square. It's funny, I never noticed any turbo lag in the Golf until my journey home. :blush:

You guys are all very lucky. My only dillema now is, Do I wait for the latest 300BHP version to be available for similar money ( 22k ) or do I go for a GT sooner rather than later. I'm afraid the stone chips and apparent colour miss match from plastic panels to metal wings etc, has put me off Ultra Yellow. Unless you guys can convince me otherwise. Also, Iv'e had a black car before and have vowed "Never again".

I guess you could say Iv'e got the "Zed bug" :thumbs:

The GT4 is the 300BHP version. It has the 06 engine in the 05 exterior.

If the car was registered prior to 23 march 2006 (which the majority of GT4's are) then it has the added bonus of being in Band F car tax (£205), and not band G (£400 in 2008, £300 in 2007).

Sorry to see that this one wasnt up to scratch. If it helps just about ALL stone chips on 350Z's regardless of colour go down to the white primer, I have a few on my yellow, and also some harsh ones on the bumper will go down to the plastic. Bottom line is the paint just plain sucks on the 350Z, and the shape of the front end doesnt help matters when it comes to avoiding stone chips.

Any leather issues can usually be cleared up with some good TLC with leather clean and leather feed. Unless its already cracked, then its probably too late.

The coroding of the top of the gear lever is common too, although they could have cleaned the previous owners dead skin out of it :yuck:

Mine was not in tip top condition either, the laquer was all but gone - a dremel and some autosol sorted it out though.

For that mileage and in the condition you describe, Id expect a couple of grand off that price at least, even at a main dealer.

Shame you didn't like the UY GT4. Though it does give you the opportunity to get the better BLACK colour :p;)

The paint does suck BUT if the Stealer reckoned a touch up stick would do the job then WALK AWAY, they appear to be a bit clueless. :scare: The UY is such an incredible (pearl and deep clearcoat) paint job with that a touch up stick curely wouldn't do a good job (do any UY guys have a comment???)

As for the price. Even in pristine condition they're asking too much. Chesterfield paid the same as me - £21,995. I got mine Nov06, Chesterfield a couple months later I believe. Mine had 18,000 miles on it so the one you saw should be less, IMO. Though you are in Cambridgeshire..... I got mine from OOOP NORTH, Sunderland.

Chesterfield's comment about Tax is worth considering. So too would be the 'exclusivity' of a GT4 as only 176 were made (100 Blk, 76 UY)...

Update on the weekend. The Ultra Yellow GT4 in question was No. 124, had done 22k miles and was advertised at £23,995.

Would say that was overpriced even at a dealer. I paid significantly less than that almost a year ago for my black GT4 with only 5k miles on the clock in a private sale.

Was cleaning mine on the weekend and when you look closely, the front plastic bumper is peppered with stonechips....so I think its a case of '"they all do that sir" :D

Have you checked out pistonheads, there's a lot on there at the moment including several GT4s....

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/list ... &nodays=60

oh, and welcome :welcome:

They do make a touchup for the UY, but how effective thisis I dont know - I may order one just to have a look, but its the topcoat that counts on the UY from my understanding - so I think its certainly a tricky job to fix any marks on the UY.

I got mine from down south, so its certainly not a northern pricing thing either. That one is just too expensive.

Thanks for all your comments guys, particularly about the paint. I guess its a fact of life these days with paints being water based, they just aint as tough as they used to be.

After looking through the cars on Pistonheads, there's a UY GT4 on there with only 900 miles for 22k so proves how overpriced the car at Peterborough is :scare:

After looking online today it looks like I may settle for a Gun Metal GT with Rays and Bose. If I budget for around £20k I should be able to find a good one with less than 20k on the clock.

Once again, thanks everyone, you've been a big help. You'll all be the first to know when i find the right car. :thumbs:

After looking through the cars on Pistonheads, there's a UY GT4 on there with only 900 miles for 22k

I cannot for the life of me beleive this is still for sale!

Some of us have considered selling ours and buying that just for the mileage - its all but brand new! :scare:

You could do a lot worse than that car in my opinion. Obviously Ive not seen it, but I reckon for that price and mileage, its a cracker.

GM is a great colour as it allows you to blend into the crowd well - it's the complete opposite to the UY as you're pretty inconspicuous. Loads of GM's on the road too so you won't have much trouble finding one I don't think.

As for that nearly new UY. WHY IS IT STILL for Sale? Offer him silly money, he must either be desperate by now or simply not interested in doing a deal.

After looking through the cars on Pistonheads, there's a UY GT4 on there with only 900 miles for 22k

I cannot for the life of me beleive this is still for sale!

Some of us have considered selling ours and buying that just for the mileage - its all but brand new! :scare:

You could do a lot worse than that car in my opinion. Obviously Ive not seen it, but I reckon for that price and mileage, its a cracker.

Its sold to a newbie on here ;)

GM is a great colour as it allows you to blend into the crowd well - it's the complete opposite to the UY as you're pretty inconspicuous. Loads of GM's on the road too so you won't have much trouble finding one I don't think.

As for that nearly new UY. WHY IS IT STILL for Sale? Offer him silly money, he must either be desperate by now or simply not interested in doing a deal.

IMO there is something not quite right about it. It's advertised twice on the same page. Once at £23,995 and again at £23,000 also there are 2 lots of photo's. The first batch at the "Lock up" seem like very little effort or care went into them. I could be wrong, but it seems a little "Dodgy" :dry:

IMO there is something not quite right about it. It's advertised twice on the same page. Once at £23,995 and again at £23,000 also there are 2 lots of photo's. The first batch at the "Lock up" seem like very little effort or care went into them. I could be wrong, but it seems a little "Dodgy" :dry:

The guy does post on here so he may just answer that for you..... ;)