non zed related insurance question

wizurd

Hi All :-)

Got a bit of an odd question and would like to see what other people think or if anyone has seen this before.

Basically a friend of mine had a knock in a car park. They were stationary and someone reversed into them. Damage wise not a lot wrong on their car, probably just a bit of paint work to the bumper.

Other driver had more damage to their rear bumper.

Anyway the guy was a fairly elderly gentleman. Accepted all his fault, was apparently saying about how he couldn't afford the damage etc etc they swapped details and that was it.

Later that night my mate spoke to the elderly guy about claiming and said that they wouldn't bother so that he wouldn't have to contact his insurance and it would save him on his renewal price and excess.

Since then my friend has had a phone call from this old guys insurer (Admiral as it happens). They said that he's contacted them and that they've accepted full responsibility for the damage. They said they will get a courtesy car for the time it takes to fix the damage to his car and that they will organise and pay for the repair. Now this is without my friend doing anything with regards to his insurance company.

When he asked whether he should contact his insurance company to advise them Admiral said "well you probably should but you don't have to". That sounds wrong to me and i also found it a bit weird that Admiral will just pick all this up without contesting it.

I always thought that with claims insurance companies spoke to each other regarding the matter and didn't contact the other side's driver as such.

Anyone ever seen this before or heard of it or actually know what the procedure should be?

Thanks

He will have to declare it under "Have you had any accidents in the last three years?" line of questioning.

Very poor advice from the Admiral person, as it's completely wrong. They do share info and he MUST mention it upon renewal.

Its the old mans son phoning you pretending to be Admiral... :surrender:

That's a interesting idea! Hoping it ain't that.

Just to clarify Admiral (the old guys insurer, my friend is with esure) said about my friend not bothering to tell esure about this incident. Your right as well that when renewal comes up really my friend would have to also declare it then.

Didn't think about it being an accident repair company.

I said that he should just go through his insurers, tell them everything and go from there. Admiral have already accepted responsibility for the accident so it won't be his fault (assuming that doesn't all change). His worry is that regardless of it not being his fault that it could still push up his premium come renewal time.

I'd just never seen this happen before with regards to the other person's insurance company dealing direct with you plus the rather odd statement from them about not telling your own insurer about the incident. Cheers for the feedback :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Edited by wizurd

My son had a taxi skid into his parked car last Winter which did not stop.

It got reported to the police as a failure to stop after an accident.

There was a small amount of damage to his Golf which I paid to have repaired as it was not worth

putting it through his insurance as his excess was £600. He did tell his insurance Co as the police were involved but told them he would

not be claiming...his renewal went up by £400 as he had an accident...WHAT..he got hit while parked and the other person pi55ed off, and

did not make a claim, whats the extra £400 for...COMPLETE THIEVES...!!!. :scare: :scare:

That's exactly what their worried about. Even though it's not their fault will it push up their premium. I'm assuming it wouldn't effect their ncd since not there fault. He's figuring out what to do now anyway. Cheers will.

That's exactly what their worried about. Even though it's not their fault will it push up their premium. I'm assuming it wouldn't effect their ncd since not there fault. He's figuring out what to do now anyway. Cheers will.

No didn't effect his no claims bonus..Just hammered him on the premium...which is completely wrong.. :scare:

Edited by WhackyWill