Convertible roof and extended warranty

haynesml

I know from the other thread that the consensus seems to be that the extended warranty is a waste of money.

My only concern is that I have had two new roofs on mine, the second one was down to a manufacturing defect not linked to the other problems that people have had with their roofs.

So this is more a question to convertible owners, are you / what are your views on taking an extended warranty from Nissan? Knowing how long it took to do the roof both times the labour charges alone are frightening to think about.

Or would it be better to just put the money in a savings account and its there should it be needed?

It would depend on how much the cover is, how long it's for and what they actually cover.

The only issue that I had with my roof is in the seam line, they would probably argue that this wouldn't be covered as the roof stretches when it is put up/down. I have solved this thanks to Wills370 as he recommended stormsure a waterproof glue that you use on boats and touch wood it's worked a treat.

I personally don't take out extended cover on anything as it's normally not worth the paper it's printed on. Imho.

Glad the stormsure worked for you. :thumbs:

Regarding extended warranties i really wouldn't bother. From my discussions with the dealers on both Z roadsters i bought the rooves (mechanics) weren't covered by the standard UK warranty anyway. With my 370 I got them to verbally confirm that they would cover the whole roof otherwise i wouldn't buy the car as i had issues with the 350 roof. I used the basis of the Canadian nissan warranty which says the complete roof is covered therefore mechanics and material and they were happy to go with that.

For the extended warranty there are too many get out of jail cards for them and i bet in most circumstances you wouldn't be covered, unless you get them to stipulate it would in writing and then maybe, just maybe given you have had problems in the past

I'm in the middle of talks with Nissan regarding this as my warranty expires on the 17th Sept. They confirmed the 'fabric' isn't covered under the extended warranty (didn't mention the mechanicals). My car is currently under investigation. I left it at Westway Nissan for the last 10 days whilst I was in Cornwall for them to do what's necessary - returned to be informed their warranty man was on holiday so nothing has been done - useless f*cktards!!! They serviced it and sorted my MOT though. My third hood is showing very early signs of wear and, at a cost of £2.5k to replace the fabric, wanted something doing. Nissan HQ's response was to take it in now and get another new hood (my fourth) even though it really doesn't need doing yet - I just wanted an assurance they're replace it in the future when it really needed doing (bearing in mind I might change my car it's likely they'd never need to do it!!) - they didn't seem keen on this apart from mentioning that they may consider a goodwill gesture at the time (nothing firm though). So, looks like 4th hood it is over the next few weeks, and doubtful I'll take out extended warranty as it's a fortune. The drama continues...

Thanks for the views above and thanks for sharing your current talks with Nissan Rogerxp. You have highlighted the exact concern that I have with the roof fabric and that would be my main reason for the extended warranty. I am going to take this up with Nissan directly as in my mind a roof should be fit for purpose, my third roof has only been on there three weeks so you would expect it to last more than a year!

I will see how far I get.

It appears not much of anything is covered under the extended warranty! When you say wear on the roof, exactly where, i.e. where the window drop or around the supporting frame? I would question dealers ability if each time the replacement hood has been aligned & fitted correctly this many times and it still is defective. I am guessing you have had one of the master technicians review & undertake the fitment? These sorts of comments worry me as a 370 roadster owner. So far mine has been fine, but then the car is only used at weekends and covers about 4-5k a year, it is also covered and garaged, only cleaned with a hoover and light pressure hose. Do you both use them as daily drivers? If local try Slough WLMG HPC, the mechanics know their onions on Zed's and GTRs. Sorry hear this as it must really put a downer on the ownership of what for the most part is a fab car, it certainly would put me off another roadster.

My passenger window catches the edge of the fabric and wears a hole in it. Impossible to repair due to its position so a complete replacement required. They've tried to realign the window, wasn't perfect, but better, but then air started whistling in so window put back. New hole reappears. I still absolutely love the Zed Roadster but must admit it's getting a bit tiresome and the worry of no cover after next month does concern me. It'll just get chopped in for something else at some point and, so long as there isn't much of a hole, no-one would ever notice - sounds harsh but I've done all I can do - it can be someone in the trade's problem.

...I do keep looking at Z4 35is's but can't get one as a manual (in fact there aren't any DCT's either). Then again, with a growing family, a 3 series coupe 330d manual is perfect but decent ones are few & far between. The longer I wait the closer to a new 4 series I'll get or even, if I get my own way at work, a lovely 997 :) . We'll just see how it all pans out.

My first roof was changed due to a cable tie wearing a whole in the roof from the inside, that is just poor workmanship. 2nd roof had what can only be described as a small bubble in the fabric at the very front, which no one could do anything about. WLMG Slough sorted it out both times for me. I love the car especially with the roof down but this is my daily car and it just niggles away in the back of my mind that if there is another problem then its one hefty repair bill.

I can't believe you guys are having such bad luck with the roof of your cars, 4 in such a short time is crazy.

Luckily mine has been faultless and as shown in the pictures i posted up ages ago my roof lining is well clear of the windows. I would be concerned for you too since a replacement roof does not seem to be the problem as new ones will wear in the same way. Looks like there is a fundamental problem with the way the roof mechanics have been setup on the car and if they dont fix that the problem will inevitably re-occur but this time it will be out of warranty and not covered by the extended warranty.

If you lived close by i'd be more than happy to bring mine along for a comparison at the garage so they can see what the exact problem is with yours and how it should be on a working car

• Like 1

Mine likewise but thats only because I had the heads up from Will370z, I looked at two low mileage 370z's (11 reg's) prior to getting mine last year and they both had markings where the window was interfering with the fabric whilst closing. I walked straight away. I ended up with a 10 plate with very low miles instead. Think a lot of it seems to be down to the position of the rubber seal relative to the canvas. The canvas on mine sits clear of the window.

Anyway surely the parts and labour, if carried out by a main dealer on a vechile that is out of /under the mfg/extended warranty are entitled to one years warranty from the date of fitment?

I would be voicing this to the dealer, especially in Rogers case, sounds like you have had a torrid time with them. So the worst case you have one year? If you did have to make a claim, you just need to prove it is link to the area which has had the remedial work by the dealer within the year. Worth a shot.

Not sure I have ever seen your roof up Will, so perhaps that accounts for the lack of wear ;):lol:

More seriously, I too doubt the 'value' of these extended warranties. I believe you would be best off to ensure the dealer records on your car records your concerns prior to warranty expiry and from what we have seen a "goodwill gesture" (up to a limit - I think it is 6 years from first registration) may be more fruitful.

Sad to hear though of repeated problems but seems Nissan did not learn enough lessons from similar issues with the 350 roadsters - as martinmac can testify.

• Like 1