buying advice, what to listen to

matthew jenner

Hi

I have read all the buying guides on here and am now off on thursday night to hopefully put my deposite down on my 350z convertable, what i would like is if someone can just give me 5 points to make sure the car is a good one, i have seen the service book and its all up to date, but what else should i listen for , look out for, there is mention of a noice to listen to from the rear axel , what does it sound like if its good or bad!

help!!!!

thanks

matt

What year is it? That's quite an important question that will lead to better advice, for example if it's an ?05-06? you'd want to check when it was registered to determine which side of the tax brackets it falls (could be a ~£200 per year tax difference), for an '07 you'd want to make sure it was a HR model (2 air in takes and bonnet bulge) as you'd be paying the higher tax anyway so may as well go for the better spec, you'd also probably want to avoid the ?'06? oil eating revup.

I looked at replacement hoods the other day and you can buy a nicer mohair one (the OEM is canvas) for £440, not sure if that includes fitting, but if the roof is ripped you may want to ask for a discount in that area to cover the new hood.

I wouldn't worry about the clicking axle problem, yes it's common but also a cheap fix - I'd only use it as a discount point rather than something that would put me off.

ask if they have any fuel receipts to show its run on 99. I try and keep all of mine so next buyer knows its been run on the right stuff. Also when you test drive it have windows down and try and do some slower town speeds (as well as faster sections through the gears) so you can hear any potential rattles or if clutch/gearbox feels ok at slower speeds

its a 55 plate, so im hoping the lower tax bracket , so no bonnet bulge!!!

i will check the petrol situation , and make sure its run on the good stuff! Im looking at it in weymouth at about 8 on thur if anyone has a spare half hour, just a thought, if not the advice has been great , keep it coming, should i be worried about the clutch , how much is a new one ? and my last car was a tt , ( i know , im sorry!!) , so am used to a feather light clutch , so what should feel for, high bite point , low bite point , or shall i just drive and see how it feels and go with my gut, cor this is hard work trying to buy a proper mans car!!!!!

i found the 350z clutch heavier than other cars I have had. Think a lot of 350z owners also say the bite is high and seems to be a common Z trait. As long as it doesnt slip you should be ok. CLutches go from 40k onwards but really depends on how it has been treated. Dont expect much change from £1k for replacement clutch and flywheel (including labour)

With every convertible feel every inch of the carpet door cars and in the boot/hood compartment area for wet patches. Take the roof up and down at least a couple of times before & after any test drives and i have always asked to use a hose all over the roof to check for leaks. A good convertible should not leak and that goes back to the days when i used to drive a Triumph Spitfire and those were held on with press studs! :scare: ! Apart from that its a 350Z and the forums buying guides tell you what to look for make sure a full tyre check is near the top of the list. If your not mechanically aware i would even pay for an AA report i know there not cheap but it adds to the history of the car on a resale & a lot better than losing a whole lot more if you buy the cars and its a Dud.

If in any doubt walk away & buy another day. Best of luck. Hope to see your pictures if all goes well. ITS A ZED ENOUGH SAID.