Radio Interference (Long Wave) going over bumps

chipshopman

Odd one this. Wanted to see if anyone else has experienced it or could diagnose:

I was listening to the cricket on Long Wave in my 350Z the other day and every now and then noticed the type of interference crackle you get when there's a storm nearby.

Initially I thought it was indeed crackles due to nearby lightning, but in the end I realised that it coincided with me changing lanes and the rear wheels going over the cats' eyes. A bit later, I went over a shallow pot hole and the same thing happened.

So it appears that something is causing radio-wave interference that's connected to my car's rear wheels going over bumps. To me, that's got to be electrical and to cause that kind of radio crackle has to be a short or dodgy connection.

Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone got any idea of what it might be? Should I be concerned?

Any ideas welcome! :)

Cheers.

Chipshopman

Between the antenna and the receiver, there is an RF amplifier (mounted behind trim in the boot) and a coaxial transmission line. You've probably got a loose connection somewhere. Strip down, wiggle (or in an extreme case replace the coax line or resolder any related connections) ..or don't worry :lol::thumbs:

It could be RFI from something arcing - there is a headlight pitch sender connected to the ARB, amongst other wiring in the boot vicinity - which, if faulty, would be picked up with AM. If there is no interference on FM then suspect these external sources whereas if there is interruption with all modulation types, suspect the RF circuit as above.

ChrisB - Thank you very much, I've only noticed it on LW, so when I get a chance, I think I'll be investigating the wiring in the boot vicinity.

WhackyWill - Yep, yep. For me, it makes driving the Zed in the summer even more enjoyable, although I have started to consider swapping the stock stereo out for something a bit more up to date that includes a digital radio when I've got a bit of spare cash... :)