ADVICE/HELP NEEDED

jonny the mod

Good day folks. Firstly can I apologise but im not really mechanically minded, so here we go.. On Thursday I noticed that my exhaust sounded deeper !! I checked it yesterday after work to find that the single pipe coming from the back box has popped out of its clamp !! Ive had a garage look at it this morning and noticed the piped is "flanged" and had indeed popped out of the bracket which connects it to the mid section. Now the chap at the garage said he could have a go at welding the pipe back onto the bracket. I don't know if this failure is common and also whether its a good idea to weld it or just replace the back box...Your advice would be great. I would defo be on the lookout for a replacement back box if I had to get one, but cant stretch to that much money, so if anyone has a decent unit they may sell, please pm me. Thanks in advance Jonny (car in question UK late 2006 GT)

Sounds like the common failure point on the exhaust....some buy another one others get it welded up fine.

Totally depends on your budget and if you want a new exhaust at all.

Cobra/Scorpion is the cheapest Y pipe back I would buy and are just shy of £400 delivered.

Very common issue, as the OEM usually fails in this area, we offer replacement options here - http://cougarstore.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_10 :)

The Cobra Sport system that we do makes a great replacement - http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/63096-cobra-sports-exhaust-from-cougar-store/

Please do either call or PM us and we'll be happy to help... :)

Mine went in exactly the same spot. I bodged it for a couple of weeks with a tinned can (of fruit if you're interested - minus the fruit of course) and some of that GunGum exhaust repair stuff while I waited for my Cobra from the chaps at Cougar-Store. I'd imagine you could get a garage to weld a sleeve over it, but I took it as an opportunity to upgrade.

Edited by Nick350z
  • Like 1

Mine went in exactly the same spot. I bodged it for a couple of weeks with a tinned can (of fruit if you're interested - minus the fruit of course) and some of that GunGum exhaust repair stuff while I waited for my Cobra from the chaps at Cougar-Store. I'd imagine you could get a garage to weld a sleeve over it, but I took it as an opportunity to upgrade.

what kind of fruit? my exhaust is doing the same but im not sure what fruit to use? :lol: :lol: just kidding ;)

I had a sleeve welded over mine, cost £40 and took about an hour, was perfect for about a year until the flexi's on the y pipe started to go. Had enough and bough a new cat back system, but the original weld was still perfect.

• Like 1

I believe it was a can of tinned apricots (in syrup), but I'm sure that an alternative fruit would suffice.

Here's my guide for bodging your exhaust -

1 Jack up rear of car (remember to use chocks and axle stands kids!)

2 Cut off flange to the mid pipe with an angle grinder, whilst swearing profusely.

3 Open up can of fruit. You can either eat it there and then or keep refrigerated for later on.

4 Remove lid and bottom of can, then cut it top to bottom.

5 Roll can up into a coil, stuff it inbetween rear pipe and mid pipe, smother in GunGum (swearing helps again here, as this stuff is truly the devil's work).

6 Lower car to ground, run exhaust until hot.

7 Admire your ingenuity until you realise a can of fruit is now forming a crucial part of your car, contact CS as fast as possible.

To be fair it did actually hold quite well for a couple of weeks whilst my new exhaust was enroute, but it really was a bodge-up of the highest order!

• Like 2