Vauxhall Astra 1.4 SRi

Yampiedog

I have a journey to Kent tomorrow for work and so they have provided a hire car as in the title.

I love the look of the new Astra and once inside it is nice and comfy and looks nice. However here come a couple of niggly bits that I have noticed so far.

1 - some of the switchgear is in odd places, eg the rear wiper. It is a switch on the very end of the stalk - odd to say the least.

2 - the engine is absolutely gutless and feels like it should do more but is restricted. It seems almost impossible to accelerate hard.

I would be embarrassed to offer this to someone based on the way it performs. I appreciate I may expect more driving what we drive but compared to other cars I have driven with 1.4 engines this is like piggybacking a snail.

Know what you mean, the wife`s just got a Vauxhall Mokka which has the same odd little rocker switch on the end of the stalk for the rear wiper but what I find even more odd on that is the front parking sensors are only active after you`ve either selected reverse (which activates the rears and front as well) or pushed the button to turn the front on. So if you pull up to something to park and haven`t previously used reverse during your journey and haven`t remembered to hit the button you drive into whatever`s in front whilst waiting for the pings to tell you to stop. Why wouldn`t you just want them to be active all the time !!!

260 miles and refilled and it cost just over £47 - pretty shocking I reckon.

Drop down a gear and you'd expect a little bit of oomph but nothing, ease off the pedal and then it's a proper work up to get back to your speed.

I did notice the lighting below the heartsick surround though, that was pretty.

I have to say though around town it was quite pleasant to drive but overall the engine is awful.