coolant change - bleeding system

ddcboyle

Hey guys, going to be doing a coolant change for p3 service. Ive never done coolant before but dad is convinced there should be some sort of bleed nipple. Ive tried searching and youtube, found one that said to squeeze the pipes to release air, but dads convinced theres a nipple.

Can someone confirm how to bleed the system? Or give a link to a guide (Cant seem to find one)

Thanks

Dean

I doubt there's a bleed for the system, just empty it by removing the plug at the bottom of the radiator, let the liquid out (it's only a mix of water and anti-freeze - and probably a bit of rust and sh*t it has picked up during its life going round the system). Put the plug back in tightly then refill until it reaches the top where the filler cap is. Turn the engine over, turn it off and recheck to see if it needs topping up. Then after a short run letting the engine get up to temperature recheck WHEN THE RADIATOR FEELS COOL ENOUGH!!!! Top up if needed. You cannot overfill it and it probably won't make any difference if its not totally full, there's an overflow bottle that allows a little expansion and contraction of the contents. EDIT - Remember to replace the fluid with the correct mix of (I think its ionised) water and the correct antifreeze. This is important to use the correct one as it can corrode the matrix if not causing failure in the future.

Edited by Floydbax

There is a bleed screw. If you stand in front of the car looking at it, It is in the back left corner of the engine bay, you can follow the coolant pipe from the top left of the radiator back to the bleed nipple. You will find it is just a black screw about 10 - 15 mm diameter, on top of a black rubber pipe, right near the firewall, to the left of the engine.

Dean,

If you are adding 5 litres of Premix then you should not have a bleed issue mate.

If you are draining the block etc and flushing out the complete system and then adding 10 litres of Premix then the bleeding can get a bit tricky.

There is a set Nissan procedure to follow and a few tricks to make it easier.

Drop me a PM if you run into any bother.

Regards,

Alex. :)

Coolant is not just coolant mate

Your better off with the genuine nissan green stuff and you can get it from nissan dealers on ebay for good money.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Nissan-L248-Premix-Engine-Coolant-Antifreeze-KE902-99945-/150939424104?pt=UK_Vehicle_Oils_Lubricants_Fluids&hash=item2324b0d568

If you add something different you have to be careful about different types mixing together and as its hard to get it all out without a vacumn its easier to use the correct stuff.

The reason they sell it premixed is so you dont add untreated water which could also accelerate corrosion within the ally block.

Antifreeze does not go off as far as protecting the engine from freezing, its the anti corrosion quality that starts to breakdown and for this reason has to be replaced.

Sorry to sound so anal mate but coolant is a black art and well worth getting it right.

• Like 1

If you mix different types of antifreeze together it can form a jelly and sludge up mate.

Its not so much that the Halfords is no good, its more a case of whats in it now and staying with the same.

When you drain it you will not get all the antifreeze out. Some will sit in the heater matrix and some in the block etc. So if its still got nissan stuff in it its safer to stick with it.

Search on the net for antifreeze mate and it will open your eyes to the diferent types.

People worry about decent oil and then put cheap antifreeze in.....go figure..... as said before its the anti corrosion that you need to worry about especially as its an all ally engine.

I admit i`m a bit anal but expect to keep mine for a long time so at the price of the ebay genuine stuff its a no brainer

Edited by gsexr

But if the previous 2 services hadnt put nissan green in?? I get what ur saying but should I still put nissan green in wether its nissan or something different in there? Was thinking of flushing out (like what you do with oil, empty it then pour a litre or 2 throygh before putting cap back on)

If your going to flush i would do that with distilled water as you will not get all of that out afterwards either and that will be less harmful to the ally.

Mine had nissan green and i wanted to keep it that way.

It also meant that if any was left behind i would only be mixing green with green and keeping it the same.

BMW use their own type as well. Halfords do sell it and i think its either blue or green. Lots of stories on the net about problems using the wrong stuff.

Why take a chance. When the nissan stuff is a good price on ebay. Mine came next day i think so good delivery and it was from a nissan garage so may have been different from the link i posted.

Why not drain it and flush it out then drain it and flush it out a couple more times and then get the right stuff in. At least you will know its correct for the corrosion protection the engine needs.

Doing it several times will dilute any remaining stuff left behind and do the final fill and drain with distilled so if you have plain water left behind you will know its better than raw water.

Your`ll need to run the engine now and then to circulate it.

I think the coolant system holds about 8.7 litres so if you fill using a litre jug when putting the antifreeze in you will know how much plain water is in there.

I drained mine from the rad and then put a low pressure airline (less than 1 bar) on the bleed valve point to force as much out of the system as possible ( did it in short bursts to keep the water coming out) because being premixed you dont want it diluted with distilled water and making the mixture weak. Think i got 7.5 litres back in. So at least 1 litre of original was still in there.

Hence staying with the green

Edited by gsexr