Underbody Corrosion

johna

Sorry for this being my first post rather than in the introductions section but I have just had a look under my new Zed and noticed something a bit disturbing.

I was expected the non structural metal to be in a bit of a state (looked under there when viewing the car and read a few threads on here) but didn't notice the state of the (drainage ?) holes under the sill near the rear wheels, the lozenge shaped ones on either side of the car near the rear jacking points (which don't look too clever either) seem to be pretty badly corroded.

I know its a bit cheeky for a first post but how do other peoples look ? Mine's a 56 plate.

I am no expert "others on here are" but i would say that is very normal, dont forget your car is what... 7 years old its gonna have rust on it but what you have is in my opinion to be expected. When you can pull a bit off and poke your finger through it ... Thats when you worry :)

Before every winter i norm all cover the bodywork of my cars in waxoil which gives it protection, less so if its already rusted to f@@k but i personally have always used it and found it helpful in the prevention of rust getting worst.

Edited by fellsteruk

I know ppl have different views but... It's always worked for me.

I had a Primera many moons ago had it from new, I would clean and treat every winter I had the car for 6 years before I got rid and all the underneath was rust free the only rust I did have was the exhaust lol

Used it on all my cars, was one year I couldn't get hold of it so used a similar Schultz stuff which I was happy with

Edited by fellsteruk

Cheers folks, first thing I'm going to do is get something up into those cavities that I'm never going to be able to reach like Dynax S50 or waxoyl then I need to decide what to do with under the sills, not sure exactly what yet, "nice" to know its "normal" though.

Edited by johna

As others have said its normal. My 4 year old (at the time) zed was rusting like mad under it. Likewise my wifes 1 year old Nissan Juke is as well. Its as if Nissan use no metal protection at all on their metal. In contrast, my 180k mile 13 year old VW which I sold still looked brand new underneath!