Going to view a Z on Saturday....any tips

Ross Mac

Hi,

Ive arranged to view a 2003 GT pack Z on Saturday (private sale) and Im just after a bit of advice.

I've seen the buying guides on here but was just after any tips for things to look out for or questions to ask.

I've spoken to the vendor who assures me he is an enthusiast and it has had all the recalls done - what would these include?

I just want to give him a bit of a test beforehand to make sure he isnt just talking the talk to get it sold.

Any advice as I dont want to travel the 165 miles from Newcastle to Derbyshire to get there and be disappointed, or more importantly be stung.

Cheers

Ross

Ask him exactly what recalls have been rectified?

Main ones are:

Front tyre feathering

rear boot struts

Skipping CD player

clicking rear axles

Check paint work at front for stone chips

I'm sure others will be along to add to the list :thumbs:

If your buying privately please please please get a HPI report done before you give him any money.

I'm sorry if I am telling you something you already know, but the Zed is not a cheap car and the vast majority are on finance. If it is on finance the car belongs to the finance company and NOT the guy selling it.

By law the guy should settle the finance before he sells the car.

Of course many private sellers will promise they are going to settle the finance when they get your cheque... :headhurt:

Secondly, like any performance car, the Z is more likely to have been crashed than your average Mondeo etc, and again ( unless the damage is very recent, or wasn't repaired through an Insurance company ) the HPI report should tell you this.

The best advice I can give you is to take an expert but remember AA and RAC inspections will NOT spot accident damage, they are only trained to spot mechanical problems.

Good luck mate.

Front tyre feathering

rear boot struts

Skipping CD player

clicking rear axles

Check paint work at front for stone chips. (or lack of chips = re-spray!)

-6th gear synchro - (there is good way of detecting wear on the synchro and baulk ring. Drive it or let him drive it...and ask him to change from 4th to 6th gear when driving over 2000rpm...( for example when joining a motorway slip road... if the gear crunches you will know the 6th gear synchro and baulk ring will need replacing soon.)

-Driver window glass dropping a little bit at high speed. (70-80mph) and you get wind noise... easy fix = adjust window position.

Thats great guys thaks for all the responses :thumbs:

I'm getting my mate to run an HPI check for me as he works at a Renault main dealer and can do it for free.

I'll check the same as you suggest plus check to make sure all panels line up, shut lines and panel gaps are all equal, check for overspray, any orange peel paintwork etc.

Its apparently got the paint protector film on the bumper and bonnet so should be limited chips

Will see when I get there I suppose....

If he tells you it has been back in for any of the above recalls - then he's lying ! There has been no recalls for the 350Z since it was launched in the Uk.

The above problems are ones that the dealer will fix if you go and complain, but they were at no point recalled to get any of these fixes done.

Surprised none of the guys spotted that - there is quite a major difference there

Gus

If he tells you it has been back in for any of the above recalls - then he's lying ! There has been no recalls for the 350Z since it was launched in the Uk.

The above problems are ones that the dealer will fix if you go and complain, but they were at no point recalled to get any of these fixes done.

Surprised none of the guys spotted that - there is quite a major difference there

Gus

I thought that was a given. If a car had been recalled to dealers for as many issues as we have listed Nissan wouldn't be able to shift a zed for love nor money :)

For a new member I think it is woth distinguishing - a manufacturer recall is completely different from you going and complaining and getting them to fix.

The term used was "recall" and you guys started saying that all sorts of things came under that category - not so.

Maybe a bit pedantic, but worth clarifying for someone new.

Gus

So recall is Nissan saying they need a car back to fix something, whereas what most on here have done, is taken the car back to have something fixed under warranty?

And manufacturers usually only issue recalls when it's a serious safety issue. :dry:

Correct !

Recall is issued and recorded in the government register as a Safety Related issue which can lead to a serious or fatal injury.

US is more stringent than Europe in this respect. This will involve a high level management of rectification activity of all cars potentially affected by the concern, and an oficial register of what cars have been recalled and percentages "pending". Very Expensive, and bad publicity.

If the OEM (not only Nissan ...)thinks it is not a safety critical issue but requiring rectification they can do something like a "silent campaign" so, when the car comes in for a service, regular maintenance, other warranty claim repair etc...the silent repair will be carried out and recorded.

Or they can deal with it on a case-by-case basis... depending how grumpy the customer is...

Well this question has turned out to be more informative than I had intended!! :p

Its put me in good stead for when I get to see one - the one I had intended on seeing has sold tonight :thumbdown:

Im gonna have to be quick when I find one but not many coming up nearby me at the moment in my budget that I fancy.

Will just have to keep searching....

Well this question has turned out to be more informative than I had intended!! :p

Its put me in good stead for when I get to see one - the one I had intended on seeing has sold tonight :thumbdown:

Im gonna have to be quick when I find one but not many coming up nearby me at the moment in my budget that I fancy.

Will just have to keep searching....

You need to be prepared to travel man !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did a 9 hour round trip to Newcastle to pick mine up B)