Lunchtime insurance quotes - AAGGHHH!!

nixy

God I am exhausted! Just been through it all with one guy at a company that will remain nameless - he basically chatted me up, called me Nick and asked if he could phone me back on my mobile despite been already given my work number - which I am now waiting for a call back on.

RAC did a great quote took me bloody ages and then right at the end of it - they can't insure it (even temporarily) on the chassis number! AAGGH

I need to insure it on the chassis number so I can have my private plate put straight on as the first uk reg. The DVLA office insists on seeing the insurance for some reason to do this - god knows why. I am going outside now to scream!

tried them - rubbish quote. And I do work in an office! Does anyone know why the DVLA have to have the insurance docs to register my private plate as first UK number? I can see the only way round this might be to have it on standard plates after all then do the transfer later.

Tried both them. Like I said, RAC was a great quote. Just over 500 quid fully comp with hire car, legal, protected no claims etc even though I made a claim last year. Just won't insure on the vin number.

Tried both them. Like I said, RAC was a great quote. Just over 500 quid fully comp with hire car, legal, protected no claims etc even though I made a claim last year. Just won't insure on the vin number.

Only 500 quid?? I pay double that with full no claims :wacko:

One thing I do like about my policy though is I've got 'parked up' insurance. Basically if the cars parked and something happens to it. ie keyed, bumped into, etc it's covered with no effect on my no claims! Saved me a few quid when some barsteward ran into my last car and did a runner.

get the commision back on your insurance policy's via www.quidco.com :thumbs:

and how likely are they to know what I'm talking about and insure a JDM on the VIN?

Its just a portal to all the regular insurers but you get the commission back :thumbs:

Once you have found an insurer check this site as you could get some of your premium back :)

tried them - rubbish quote. And I do work in an office! Does anyone know why the DVLA have to have the insurance docs to register my private plate as first UK number? I can see the only way round this might be to have it on standard plates after all then do the transfer later.

The DVLA have to see your Insurance to issue your Tax Disc, which means you have to get your Insurance first. I'm not an expert on this side of things and I could be wrong, but I haven't heard of an Insurance co. issuing cover notes on the VIN. I think you may well have to have it on standard plates and then transfer your private plate to the car later.

This makes sense because if you ever sell the car and retain your plate the car has to have a number to revert back to...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :thumbdown:

350znismo (martin) has done exactly what I'm talking about with his import so it is possible but I guess it might be because they insist on issuing the tax disc at the same time. Who's to say I don't want my plate on it and then park it on my drive and not tax it anyway? It's all very confusing..........

The DVLA have to see your Insurance to issue your Tax Disc, which means you have to get your Insurance first. I'm not an expert on this side of things and I could be wrong, but I haven't heard of an Insurance co. issuing cover notes on the VIN. I think you may well have to have it on standard plates and then transfer your private plate to the car later.

This makes sense because if you ever sell the car and retain your plate the car has to have a number to revert back to...

Dan's right; you're much better off getting it registered by the dealer with a normal plate and then transferring your private plate onto it afterwards. That way you'll definitely get your plate back should you want to sell.

It's only the number of owners that a future buyer is interested in, not the number of times the plate has been changed.

Once you have insurance and tax etc on the normal plate you can make one visit to a local DVLA office with your retention certificate and they sort it all out for you there and then.

There should be no problem with an Insuance Co. insuring on VIN alone , standard practice when I was bringing in motorcycles from overseas :thumbs:

and they'll just stick a 2003 plate on it no probs when i sell it anyway. I just want it doing in one go so i don't have to bother. Besides if I don't insure it the importer will go down as an owner.

You can say that again!

Just done another quote from a place recommended on a local jap car forum. Keith Michaels plc - a guy called Christian. He flew through the quote like an express train. Said he could do it for 620 with a 300 excess and £60 screen excess. That's £90 more than RAC but they would have charged me £100 to do it in installments whereas he will let me do it in 4 installments for no charge. And he'll do me a cover note to say it's on my private plate and the vin number.

Shall I just go for it?

I know you probably all wish i'd sod off with this by now but one final point. The insurance will need proof of a Cat 1 alarm. The car has one (as confirmed by Jurgen right at the start) but how do I prove it to the insurance?

I know you probably all wish i'd sod off with this by now but one final point. The insurance will need proof of a Cat 1 alarm. The car has one (as confirmed by Jurgen right at the start) but how do I prove it to the insurance?

vin number should prove it as the cat 1 alarm will be standard so vin identifies version which will show this i think. And no dont wish you sod of this thread probably has helped alot of people out who want to insure jap imports :thumbs:;)