SINGAPORE AND MONTREAL

neo-ninja

Hi All,

IM going to Singapore for work and will have one afternoon / evening free while over there - any recommendations? Anything worth buying while over there?

On the way back i am then flying to Canada again but this time Montreal again same deal i will have some free time, anything worth seeing or buying?

I stayed on Sentosa while working out there a few years back. They've built a universal theme park there.

If its night life how about the four floors..... Just joking, I was told about the place but never visited.

I enjoyed going to china town and little India of an evening oh and the street food things were amazing

Oh I forgot to say I really enjoyed the English type pub in vivo city, I know looking for the little bit of Britain but it had some excellent microbrews

http://www.queenandmangosteen.com/home.html

Also there was a German place near raffles boulevard paulaner brauhaus. Some nice beers in there too.

http://www.paulaner-brauhaus.com/worldwide

But if you have limited time go and explore some of the places I said earlier just don't try the durian fruit ;)

The night safari was a bit meh. I felt rushed to fit it in to be honest as it shuts relatively early so unless you get there when it opens then you will be very limited oh and I got tickets off the street and the bus got a puncture on the way back lol

Buy lots of durians for taking back to your hotel, just dont get on a bus or mrt with them =)

My missus has been working there the past 10months, I went over for 10 days in March but cant remember the names of places, there was a good cocktail bar called something like blue moon? china town is good for little trinkets, food everywhere is cheap and good, well the meat isnt as good quality as here. Hocker centres are brilliant for eating out, spoilt for choice!

I stayed on Sentosa while working out there a few years back. They've built a universal theme park there.

If its night life how about the four floors..... Just joking, I was told about the place but never visited.

I enjoyed going to china town and little India of an evening oh and the street food things were amazing

Yeah nobody has ever been to Orchird Towers...but every one has heard about it.... :blush:

Lol I was told don't go to floor 2....

You may get a shock.... Or a pleasant surprise depending on your viewpoint :lol:

Enjoy the place, it's where I'd emigrate to given the chance.... And I did ask

EDIT: emigrate to Singapore not floor 2!

Edited by Fodder
  • Like 1

Lol I was told don't go to floor 2....

You may get a shock.... Or a pleasant surprise depending on your viewpoint :lol:

Enjoy the place, it's where I'd emigrate to given the chance.... And I did ask

EDIT: emigrate to Singapore not floor 2!

Fine if you dont have kids :surrender: teaching system over there is terrible treat the kids like cattle schooling from 7am to 9pm a lot, due to extra activities and tutoring they need. My girlfriend is a primary level teacher and they have suicide watch sometimes for the kids....exams from the moment they start and if they don't do well.... they wont get a job and will probably have to leave the country. Also disabled people are classed as second rate citizens and I have seen people push old folk over just so they get a seat on the MRT.

However you could walk around with £100 sticking out your back pocket and no one will pinch it, justice system is strict and people wouldn't say boo to a ghost! also no one pays any attention to anything cos they all just play with there phones :lol:

Ah that's great didn't realise it was that safe. Whats this fruit then, is it actually nice? I read that it smells like dead people.... When I said buying stuff I was thinking more like should I be buying gadgets to sell back here etc..

That's a superb description lol

I didn't try them but I heard as much. Fortunately I wasn't feeling very well that evening so didn't go out with the rest of the team.

I believe you aren't allowed them on the MRT either

Like others I recommend Raffles for a Singapore sling.

I think it's a good idea to take the tourist bus around Singapore, you will then see all of the main sites and then you can decide where you want to spend more time.

I loved China town and the street food.