350Z prep for the ring

Butler22587

Hi guys, I'm new to the site and have recently bought an 04 Z GT.

I've always had BMW and been to the ring many times but an taking the Z in August.

Really love the car but can anyone advise a good set up for the track ie suspension, tyres spacers etc. or is it capable of a beating?

Advice is always appreciated

Thanks

I'm heading out there later this year, first time in the Z - so I'll take it very easy but nevertheless... (actually after looking into insurance - I'm not going to risk it, I'll stick to track days instead)

New discs/pads (I like EBC yellow stuff, so will try on the Z), Motul RBF 600 (will do clutch fluid as well) & braided lines will go on (this is just because I want to change some bits so it's an excuse to do it beforehand).

I'm on Mich supersports, standard suspension (with a few superpro bushes) but probably on eibach sway bars when I go.

As you know it's about enjoying yourself at the end of the day, and being comfortable with the car :)

Edited by RobPhoboS

I think uprated brakes are a must. At the very least uprate the fluid to RBF600 and fit braided lines if you can. The 350z brakes are a weakpoint with many people complaining of a soft pedal after only a short stint on track.

I'm running DBA discs all round and Ferrodo DS2500 pads, with uprated fluids and lines as mentioned above, and i've never had a problem on track.

I went to the Ring and Spa earlier this month in my Zed. I also upgraded the pads to FerodoDs2500 ones too, and went for braided brake lines and Motol RBF brake fluid. Also replaced the front discs but kept them standard as I didn't have the cash to upgrade to aftermarket ones,.

Brakes felt fine after driving on both tracks.

If you're after any upgrades :pmzmanalex::teeth:

Thanks a lot for the advice gents. Will def try the Ferrodo pads and some good super sports or 888 wouldnt go a miss . All my mates are in e46 m3's and I know they'll be all over me just hope the old Z will be up to the 9 laps.

Luke0549 good write up mate.

No way will it cost you a grand - it's only 600 miles from Manchester and 250 of those are in the UK!

Hotels and so on are reasonable, and you can do it there and back in a weekend - though I would seriously suggest if it's your first visit to try and go for a weekday for your first laps as it gets pretty busy on Saturdays and quite a lot of the other folks going round were not in the first draw when it came to allocating driving intelligence ( ! ! Ooooh ! ) (Anyone who exceeds their skills / conditions and stuffs it into the Armco is a xxxx idiot - you don't need to drive like a maniac to have an enjoyable lap)

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/64334-a-weekend-in-germany/

In terms of preparation - I'd suggest you don't try for a crazy laptime and spend your first laps getting used to it and how the car performs - in which case as long as the car is in good order, well serviced, tyres, brakes and clutch in good condition, you don't need to panic about having to drive on special tyres or suspension. As long as you drive within the limits of the conditions and your own driving skills, you'll have a great time - leave the 8 minute laps to other people.