DIY Refurb advice needed

JetSet

O.K, so I've got this set of Penta Axis wheels that recently came off Caroline's roadster. As you can see from the photo below they are in a really shocking state, with loads of corrosion sprouts. I'm looking to clean the wheels up to to get them into an acceptable state to use again at sometime in the future, I had considered a professional refurb but frankly from the price I was quoted it would be cheaper to buy a new set of wheels off E-Bay. I'm not looking to do a complete refurb as the spokes are actually very good, it's just the dishes that need some (well a lot) of attention. Time isn't a problem, if it takes a couple of months then so be it :surrender:

P1015512_zpsf9ea213c.jpg

Pete

How much were you quoted for the refurb? I would expect it to be only £40-60 per wheel?

As for attacking it yourself, you could give the method i used on my Volk lips a try... i.e. use a polishing drill bit attachment and some metal polish, and try to restore the lips that way. However this corrosion looks quite bad so im not sure whether this would be successful at all. You might need to use a more abrasive polish/drill bit to return it to the bare metal before lacquering it yourself manually.

Last option would be to spray it yourself using rattlecans, or even plastidip if you want an easier job and arent looking for a shiny finish.

How much were you quoted for the refurb? I would expect it to be only £40-60 per wheel?

£460 and £420 if I remove the tyres first. They seem to charge a massive premium for 20" inch wheels as they quoted me £200 for the Rays I have standing around.

Pete

• 1 month later...

Hi guys I have the same wheel but in much better condition but would like to change the inner from black to chrome or silver grey, any thoughts on who could do this ?

where in the UK are you, makes a difference for reccomending people. no point in me telling you of a company in bedfordshire, if your in scotland.