Tyre meets Screw!!!

N9JAH

Got to work this morning and checked my alloy as I hit a pothole. No damage to the alloy but did notice a screw in my tyre.

It's on the outside of the 1/4 of the tyre so no chance of a repair.

Both rear tyres have 4mm tread left but I’m concerned if I replace one rear tyre and not the other the car will feel unbalance due to one side having more grip?

Do I need to buy 2 new rear tyres?

Should I get the Bridgestone so my rear tyres match the front?

Any cheap suppliers known?

All so money is tight as just had a service and insurance is due!

Help!!!!

As you should know, never mix tyres.

But with it been the same tyre I can not see much difference after it has been on a few mile (maybe 100?) I would have thought it would have started to wear to your alignment.

But.. Im not an expert just an edducated guess.

The better option is to replace both obviously but if you can't I can onluly see that as your best option.

One of the same tyre will be better than two cheap tyres so.

Thanks for the advice.

I would usually replace both rears but moneys tight and £500 is more than I have right now.

I think my best option is to buy a part worn tyres that is identical in make and treed depth to my other rear. To be honest I can only just afford that.

Driving around with a screw in my tyre is making me rather nervous.

these are the pitfalls of driving a performance car - the maintenance and running costs are higher

if you can't afford to run it there is only one answer I'm afraid :shrug:

If that answer is sell it, it's not a option more of a sin.

Just had a few big bill car related come at once along with a expensive g/f. Another moth and all will be fine again and could afford 2 new tyres.

If that answer is sell it, it's not a option more of a sin.

Just had a few big bill car related come at once along with a expensive g/f. Another moth.........

I can see your concerns - high maintenance car and girlfriend and then a moth to cope with is all too much :lol:

Had the part worn fitted today for £80 inc VAT, Its got a good 5mm left on it. Only difference is it a 275 35 R10 96 Y rather than W. As the tyre has a higher speed rating I wasn't to fussed and the only difference seems to be the tread being a little wider. Car feels good though and great service at Hyde Road Wheels & Tyres in Manchester.

Tyres will greatly affect the car and how it feels but i think people can get a bit too hung up about it.

I totally agree that matched tyres are best but lets be honest your not driving around the ring every day.

People are given the impression that the first time you dont have matched tyres you will end up in a ditch and lets be honest thats only going to happen if your pushing it too hard at the wrong time and driving beyond your own limits.

Formula 1 cant even do a tyre stop and gaurantee the next 4 will behave like the 4 they are taking off so what makes you think the replacements your buying will be as good as whats coming off. The tyre companys keep changing compounds so half the time you cant get the same as what you already have and have to buy more than one..... how convienient is that for them eh ?

Dont take this the wrong way as i said in the beginning that tyres will greatly affect the car but for people who just own one of these cars and drive like a normal road user they will not automatically crash.

(I like mine matched by the way :) but just feel all the tyre threads put the fear of god into people and should be a bit more realistic)

If you had a pair on the back for 1200 miles and got a puncture in one of them would you replace both as the tread depth will be different even if you could get a matched tyre and could affect the traction control..... where does it stop.....Keep it real eh

When did you last replace your suspension bushes while thinking about your tyes and how they affect the car....food for thought thats all.

Edited by gsexr

• 4 weeks later...

Did some research on puncture repairs and it appears that there is a British Standard for punctures - BS AU159. With regard to 245mm width tyres the penetration has to be within the middle 172mm of the tyre and for 275mm width tyres the penetration has to be the middle 193mm of the tyre.

Thought this might be of use when deciding whether to repair or replace. Also worth noting that tyres repaired to BS AU159 are able to operate at their original speed and load capabilities.

Cheers,

Scotty