Oil Pressure indicator level

sutski

Hi all, Just noticed my OPI today is hovering around the 1/4 bar and then edging upto halfway as I inch forwards. Is this normal ? Cant say I noticed it moving before ?

Also just entered the darkside for the first time with my Z this week. I just put a Nismo sports air filter on it :D:D Not the full monty, just the panel replacement filter. Makes a big difference sound wise and pull wise (and of course chic pull wise B) ..... :teeth::teeth:

Must admit to thinking about the Nismo panel filter myself, just wanted something a bit more discreet than a pop charger or a k&n. Could be a nice match for the Nismo exhaust. :)

yup, just pop open the box and swap the filter over. It's not a huge difference, but there is a definite increase in rortiness (great word). My nissan garage got it me, but for sure it would be cheaper on fleabay :)

Hows that nismo exhaust ? full cat back or just the back box ? It is what I will go for as wel for sure to keep it under guarantee. Big sound difference too ?

Must admit to thinking about the Nismo panel filter myself, just wanted something a bit more discreet than a pop charger or a k&n. Could be a nice match for the Nismo exhaust. :)

I'll give you mine for free mate... it's used but still...

PS you won't notice or hear any difference whatsoever :lol:

I'll give you mine for free mate... it's used but still...

+1 :thumbs:

its on the option list for about 50

You kid me. You obviously don't have a fine ear for it then mate. That and probably a tin top to insulate you from everything :p

I did say there was not a big difference, but I assure you there is both a difference/increase in both pull and noise.

but I assure you there is both a difference/increase in both pull and noise.

increase in pull from a filter :headhurt::wacko::headhurt:

I think your mistaken. From a new zorst or cats maybe but not a filter. Also any gains would be negated by the ECU cancelling out any gains and returning the car to stock settings :thumbs:

Guest prescience

I think your mistaken. From a new zorst or cats maybe but not a filter. Also any gains would be negated by the ECU cancelling out any gains and returning the car to stock settings :thumbs:

That is the effect of what the ECU does, but it has no knowledge or ability to measure that it is delivering say 285BHP and correcting it to delivering 276BHp - that's not how it works; fuel, timing and other parameters would be subtly changed and the net effect would be no appreciable loss or gain

So if you allow the engine to breath better it won't work better ??!! How come no one has sued K&N or Nismo or Green or the other filter suppliers for false advertising a 4-5 bhp increase, even when backed up by dyno charts ??

As I said, it is not a big increase, but there is a definite noticable increase from stock.

"K & N panel filters are performance washable and reuseable versions of the OEM filter. They fit in the original airbox as a direct replacement, but increase horsepower and throttle response along with superior filtering."

That is the effect of what the ECU does, but it has no knowledge or ability to measure that it is delivering say 285BHP and correcting it to delivering 276BHp - that's not how it works; fuel, timing and other parameters would be subtly changed and the net effect would be no appreciable loss or gain

And isn't it the ECU thats changing those parameters? Although it's not the ECU directly that is negating the gains but its effect on the components you mention, which indirectly means its the ECU negating the gains? :wacko:

Guest prescience
So if you allow the engine to breath better it won't work better ??!! How come no one has sued K&N or Nismo or Green or the other filter suppliers for false advertising a 4-5 bhp increase, even when backed up by dyno charts ??

As I said, it is not a big increase, but there is a definite noticable increase from stock.

"K & N panel filters are performance washable and reuseable versions of the OEM filter. They fit in the original airbox as a direct replacement, but increase horsepower and throttle response along with superior filtering."

There is evidence to show that if you dyno immediately after a mod or immediately ater an ECU reset, there is a verifiable gain. However, over a period of miles when cars are re-dynoed this has disappeared (probably primarily due to changes in long-term fuel trims) but nobody is able definitively to explain it. There is thus no basis to sue - even if you were inclined.

The ECU seems to be able to adjust various settings to return to an area of lets call it 'equilibrium' which has the net effect of negating power gains but it can only do this to an extent. There is a user (sentry65) on my350z (who now has Vortech) but who previously spent thousands and thousands of dollars doing mods and showed verifiable and quite substantial gains on NA. He would admit, if you asked him, that they were however not optimal (the ECU did its best to return to its equilibrium area) - a downside of this was that he had to reset his ECU every few hundred miles since it threw a CEL regularly.

That is my take on it but feel free to contradict, I am far from being an expert in these matters :)

Sarnie, you're correct but it doesn't really understand 'stock' in the sense that you mean it - the parameters would all have new values but be at the same equilibrium with minor mods

Thanks prescience, a good explaination.

So when you drop in the new filter and plant the fun pedal for the first time before the ECU can adjust, (after just having done it with the old filter in as a comparison) you will immediately see/hear the benefits of a better airflow....

Anyhow, this is only a minor mod for a few quid and is presumably the first step anyone takes into the darkside....bring on the nismo exhaust and Novidem SC....That will for sure make a difference !!!

Cheers !!

Guest prescience
Thanks prescience, a good explaination.

So when you drop in the new filter and plant the fun pedal for the first time before the ECU can adjust, (after just having done it with the old filter in as a comparison) you will immediately see/hear the benefits of a better airflow....

Anyhow, this is only a minor mod for a few quid and is presumably the first step anyone takes into the darkside....bring on the nismo exhaust and Novidem SC....That will for sure make a difference !!!

Cheers !!

Please get that Novidem S/C on - would be really interested to see how that works out

Some people (in the States) do an ECU reset pretty much every time before setting off, that's somewhat over the top but could perhaps be likened to a cold vs warm start for a PC, and nobody has reported any ill effects with regularly re-setting. One thing a reset does for sure is set short and long term fuel trims to zero :thumbs:

One thing a reset does for sure is set short and long term fuel trims to zero :thumbs:

You lost me there I am afraid. Is that a good thing ?, should I reset the ECU every now and again ?, how do I do that ? :blush:

You kid me. You obviously don't have a fine ear for it then mate. That and probably a tin top to insulate you from everything :p

I did say there was not a big difference, but I assure you there is both a difference/increase in both pull and noise.

:lol: placebo effect in its purest state

butt-dyno is your experience. What else have you got to prove it?

I have butt-dyno experience, and multiple dyno pulls to which I was present personally. The Nismo (and K&N) drop -in filters do NOT add any HP whatsoever. (And don't change the noise either)

There is evidence to show that if you dyno immediately after a mod or immediately ater an ECU reset, there is a verifiable gain.

and for panel filters, not even that is true. At the first NW dyno day we proved just that, with a Nismo and a K&N panel filter. Neither of them gave ANY extra hp whatsoever :rolleyes: