Advice on removing brake discs

Paddy78

I'm going to try to paint my disc innards as they are starting to corrode and look awful next to my recently refurbished wheels.

I have decided that it would be easier to spray these whilst they are off the car. My thinking is as follows, someone please let me know if I am doing anything wrong or will run into trouble with this plan:

• Jack wheel up and remove.
  • Undo calliper bolts and secure calliper so that it isn't hanging from the brake line.
  • Remove brake disc and label so I know which side it came from and therefore goes back on the same side.
  • Reattach calliper.
  • Put wheel back on.
  • Repeat 3 times and then reverse once painted.

I assume that I can just remove the disc without any issues or having to bleed the brakes after? I also assume that the car will be fine with the wheels on and no discs... I'm obviously not going to be moving the car until after the discs are back on?

Any pointers / advice appreciated? :thumbs:

May foul on the calipers as there is no backing plate(disc) so will sit closer to the hub, might get away with it, (waits for someone else...)

That's a good point, I should be able to use my spacers if that is an issue though.

I thought he meant the central hub part :shrug:

What colour are you thinking Paddy? And bear in mind (apologies if you already have), but you'll need heat VHT paint.

Yeah, just the central hub part and they will be black to match the wheels and spacers... I'll update my build thread with some pics once complete.

I'm using Rust-Oleum Stove and BBQ paint which is rated up to 650c (Same as most VHT / Manifold paint) and should be enough for normal road use. I went for this as it is specifically designed for corroded / rusty surfaces. I have read that some VHT paints don't bond well to these types of surfaces and this was recommended as an alternative on PistonHeads.