Confirmation that my clutch and DMF need replacing

GT Driver

Hi folks,

I'd be grateful on some feedback on this...

Bought my Zed a few weeks ago. The seller told me about a judder on the clutch pulling away from a standstill. I noticed this myself during the test drive. I figured it was a clutch / dmf issue and I negotiated on the asking price as a result of this.

The symptoms:

> Judder felt through the clutch pedal in or on the biting point pulling away from a standstill. This will cause the whole car to vibrate as well until the clutch pedal is completely brought back out.

> Revving the engine higher to 2 or 3k revs before bringing the clutch back to the bite point will 'dampen' or reduce the judder significantly.

> Judder is still felt moving into second gear, although not as severe as when pulling away from a standstill. It's mainly a first gear / reverse from a stationary.

> Judder can't really be felt when the car is moving and changing up through the remaining gears at speed.

> Gears are smooth to engage with no significant resistance or crunching.

> No vibration at speed.

> Seems to get worse with a lot of stop / start driving (ie when the plates heat up).

> Does not appear to be any noticeable slippage of the clutch (car will cut out if clutch released quickly without much accelarator given)

I am guessing it is a worn plate on the clutch or dmf, but I work in hedge funds and not a mechanic so I was wondering if anybody could confirm this?!

I don't want to get stung in forking out for a new clutch / DMF when it could potentially be something else.

Thanks,

Michael

Sounds like DMF to me - well the judder does - I think DarrenB had a simlar issue before he changed his out.

IMO its the flywheel more than the clutch as you should get slip - put her in 4th or 5th at low speed then try and accelerate quite hard if the clutch is slipping the engine will rev away but the car not accelerate.

I've seen one where the springs were worn the cushion effect turns into judder, so given the symptoms I'd be tempted to go for a clutch kit you have the option of switching to a single mass if you like that sort of thing. if you :pmzmanalex: he will be able to confirm / disagree with my opinion and he can supply a clutch kit if required. :thumbs:

• Like 2

I thought the point of DMFs was to smooth out vibrations from diesel engines. Why on earth put one in a 350Z?

The 350 is a GT car so it's supposed to be smooth - well that's my guess at why they fit a DMF - I changed to a single, made the suspension really hard, put a GTSpec kit on - it's not smooth anymore :blush::lol:

• Like 1