painting car plastics. - MINI ONE

WINKJ

Hi Guys,

looking for some advice again.

I am a novice when it comes to painting/spraying. My worse half has asked for me to colour code the black pastics on her mini to match the yellow paint.

it is the typical black wheel arch plastic.

How much of a job will this be to do for a beginner?

Cheers Guys!

Is that inside or outside plastic?

Plastic can be sprayed but plastic primer is required and be careful as plastic takes paint differently to metal so sometimes the colour match is not as good.

This won't help at all - it's as easy/hard to paint as metal - but if you haven't sprayed metal you won't know how hard/easy that is :lol:

It also depends what your spraying with and how big the plastics are - Big areas are harder IMO as you need to get even cover and no runs small bits you just do lots of thin coats out of a rattle can until your happy with the finish.

With a bit more info I may be able to help a bit more :shrug:

thanks for the quick replies. I will be more specific. :)

I want to remove the external black plastics - wheel arch trim, front and rear bumper plastic trim and front grille.

they are all the black satin that you see on everyday cars, normally a strip across your door to stop people mashing up your door with theirs! (wish my z had one or i wouldn't now have a dent :dry:)

I have found the following link, granted I know its basic but is this the standard process without investing a lot of cash?

http://www.pugaddicts.co.uk/2012/06/complete-guide-to-painting-plastic-car.html

Personally, I'd buy one of the parts you're planning on painting off a breaker car on eBay, probably for just a few quid.

Then use that to practice on. If at any point it doesn't work, sand it down, learn from the experience, then start again.

If you fudge it up, at least you haven't done so on an actual part of your other halves car, and if it all goes to plan - you've just painted your first piece. :thumbs: