Gearbox movement

jell36

Just want to know if this is normal or if not what possible fixes I could do.

If I am driving along, normally, and rest my hand on the gear stick, when I go over a bump, even a small one, I can feel the gearstick move and it feels as though there is a lot of weight behind what is causing it to move. The amount of movement is small and I can't see it move with my eye, just feel it. I do have the nismo titanium gear stick knob which may be amplifying the feeling.

Is this normal? Any ideas? Knackered gearbox mount/bush?

not sure about the z as mines an auto but this is normal in other cars I have had also not the best idea to rest on the gear shifter same as not good to rest food on clutch pedal{ as causes more ware so im told but could be wrong}

Thanks for the reply, I've never noticed it in any other cars but thought I should check it was normal. Also never knew it was a bad idea to rest my hand on the gear stick, I'll try to stop doing that then. The clutch one I knew and don't do.

Depends how much movement - You will feel some movement but it should not be bouncing around - could be a shot bush either the rear gearbox mount maybe engine mounts but I doubt that, or could be suspension bushes someshere causing the drive train to jump??

Not trying to scare you as I say it will move a bit just depends how much :shrug:

thanks for the replies, I know the vibration is normal, it's hard to explain but it's like I feel a knock and with this knock I can feel thegearstick move, also when I start the car and drive I can hear what sounds like the gearbox shuttling when I first change gear. I guess it wil be normal but I will have a look at the rear gearbox bushing to put my mindat rest.