BMW 335 DCT

taffyjason

Glad to see you liked the 335i :)

I had my Z for 4 years, and spent a fair amount on various bits (as Mitz would testify), but the 335 is simply better in nearly every department. Stock the 335i feels faster than the Z, but once the engine's had a few light modifications (Intercooler, downpipes, ECU tune on mine) it'll give a M3 a scare B) . Show it a few corners and it's just as fun to drive as the Z, but mine has had a LSD and uprated antiroll bars fitted.

On a gentle M road run its alot more economical than the Z, I know people always say "i don't care about mpg" but lets be honest with petrol prices coming up to £1.50 a litre, you have to be very loaded not to care about mpg. Servicing costs are cheap, no more so than the Z, and certainly less than a M car,

Early car have some issues regarding turbo wastegate rattles, but these issues should be well and truly sorted by now. In around 2010 cars went from a 3L twinturbo (N54) to a 3L single turbo (N55). The twinturbo engine (N54) is suppose to be more tuneable (and apparently has forged internals), BMW used in the 1M, Z4 35iS and 335iS (which never came to the UK). Over the pond people have hit 600 WHP with the N54 unit!! :scare: ( with suitable mods http://www.e90post.c...ad.php?t=651949). The N55 engine isn't far behind though, the M135i has the N55 unit, and by the sounds of it the new M3 will have a N55 lump but 3 turbos stuck on to it!!

I've had mine for 2 years now, the only thing I miss about the Z is the looks. The worst thing about the 335 is the fact its a BMW, and people naturally assume I bought it for the BMW badge and start comparing it to their 320D :yuck: . But bear in mind you can now pick up a used one for £10K, and a £300 remap/ECU chip will see 350-360bhp.....Theres not many cars I can think of that you can pick up for £10K and offer RWD, decent economy, praticallity, relatively modern (the E90 was only replace by the F30 last year), and huge tunning potential. A B8 S4 is a probably the only other car that comes close, but I have no idea how much they cost these days, I choose the 335i over the S4 because the 335i was alot cheaper.

You might tell I'm a fan of the 335i...no plans to sell mine for a LONG LONG time yet. Have already bought more parts for Andy/Mitz to fit, that's despite me making a new years resolution not to spend any more money on the car :lol: .

Edited by gangzoom

Which year 335 have you got?

When i first started the motor there was a rattle, almost like a thrust bearing wear, he says it is just the baffles.......it disappeared quickly...something to be concerned about? its 2010 model with only 14k miles, so i paid over the odds, it is the M Sport version too so has the tasty alloys and limited addition paint.

The only other thing that got my attention was the sports seats, didnt seem to be any support for the base of the back, is this adjustable?

I am pretty gobsmacked with the toys this thing has, i know thats more to go wrong, but it has 3 years warranty.

Test drove the 335i DCT today, i was once an auto sceptic...utterly converted to paddle shifting ! the changes are lightning quick....the car has two very different characters, in normal auto mode its lazy and smooth, with Sport mode and semi auto its a monster, i thought the Zed was quick, the torque low down is immense.

The only thing i didnt like was the seats seem to lack lower support...but maybe they are adjustable and its a bit too quiet in the cabin...when i changed gear i had to check the digital readout to see what gear i was in....a sports zorst should solve that...the toys are pretty amazing too, the auto seat-belt extender is a little OTT though!

Just waiting to have the finance confirmed....then hopefully mine. I think my zed was upset on the way back, kept giving me static shocks...

The seat belt extender is essential. My wife simple could not reach the seat belt without it. The M sport is cool, but the sport plus edition is packed with extra's because it was the last of the E92's. I loved my door handle lights and the comfort access was great. Also i had the full connected drive system including phone apps etc. I could press a button, go straight through to bmw and ask them to find and send a location straight to the sat nav. I ould also send info to my car fom my omputer and it would be there when i got in ( music, routes etc).

Here's my car, its only a 320i sport plus eition

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/64893-my-new-car/

Edited by stuarty

My 335 (08) makes all kinds of noises on start up/warming up, as long as it all settles down and pulls nicely through the gears it's not a worry.

The seat adjustment depends on what kind of spec the seats are, I'm not too clued up on all the options, the most important option is what's under the bonnet :)

If you have an extended BMW warranty for 3 years than you should have no worries about the mechanicals...I've now realised BMWs are alot less reliable than Nissans!! But a warranty does mean you have to think twice before modding the car ;)

Sounds like you got a car with lots of spec, am sure your love it. Quite a few people have now moved from the Z to a 335, and as far as I know no one has regretted the move!!

Edited by gangzoom

well there's a simple re-map that can take it up to 384Bhp....but one step at a time, i think a zorst would do it better for now, the standard one seems too muffled, can barely hear it in the cabin!

The exhaust actually sounds fab from the outside, but the cabin is so well insulated its hard to hear it inside. On the plus side you can actually have a conversation with passengers at 70mph without having to raise your voice :lol:

The traction control has a few settings. You can have it on, press once turns something of, allowing a bit of wheel spin for snow ect and press it in and hold it in for a few secs and everything is disabled. Thats on a manual car, not sure about an auto!

yeah i am looking forward to having my ears in one piece after a journey, hopefully taking delivery tomorrow......going to take a few days to learn how to use all the toys....

I've had my M3 nearly six months and only just figured out how to get full iphone integration. Locking the car from the phone is cool but pointless! Lol.

• Like 1

yeah no plans to mod it, its a very nice motor, i do miss the Zed in a way, the beemer is a little too quiet though...which is good on the motorway, not so good when back lane driving, might ...i say MIGHT go for a miltec....will do the engine some justice!

• 2 weeks later...

I've read that the. 335 has some major reliability issues, check pistonheads etc. I would be tempted by a 135i, RS4, or an S5 if you're looking at coupe/saloons.

How about a Cayman or Z4 23i if you don't need the seats?

P1020013_zps8c9fb3c8.jpg

Mine is the S5, my son just bought the 335i this weekend.

Both are good cars, but I do think they lack the excitement of the Z, although being able to converse at 70 is a definite bonus, lol

I have had a 2008 335i (E93 convertible) for a few months, lovely thing to drive with the top down but to be honest i'm kind of bored of it already. Fully packed with goodies and it has the paddleshifts which are nice, goes very well in a straight line but not the best on the twisties. Very noisy / rattly engines for 'newer' stlye car. Wastegate rattles are still an issue on these, some have even replaced the turbos and it hasn't cured it!!! No BMW recalls anymore so its a case of putting up with it. Thankfully mine arent that noisy, although generally my runabout fiesta st is quieter on idle!!!!! I am selling it for a 370.......!

Chris