Installing a grounding kit on a new Z.......

get12

In terms of dealers they will try and blame it on anything and everything unrelated to the car.

But as pointed out:

-The dealer can reject a warranty claim which directly, or indirectly in some cases, can be attributable to a modification that deviates from the basic design and specification of the vehicle.

From this point the dealer will try and take the high ground and blame it on modification carried outside Nissan.

However if:

You carry out a modification which uses parts of the same or higher performance and specification

You installed it to the correct Nissan Specification ( Layout, Torques, Bolts, clearances to other parts etc )

Then you can argue your position, but it will be hard work.

In the case of earth cables:

1. Cables must be of a higher material grade ( O2 free Copper wire will probably be better than the Std Nissan)

2. Diameter of the cable core must be same or greater.

3. Layout and fixings must be kept to the same. ( No interference to other parts)

4. Terminal design, crimping and fixing bolt must be same or greater.

Basically copy the layout, terminal and fixing method and upgrade the cable, and you can hold a strong case if they try and allocate blame to this modification.

If you do a quality job you should not have any concern ( other than getting through the dealers Stubborn-blame-you attitude)

But I would say that the benefits of a "high" performance Earth Kit compared to a perfectly installed Standard Nissan might not be so high.

If you think your car has a problem in this area... remove the earth bolts check if the bolts are making a good metal/metal contact, and in the body fixings make sure the bolts cut properly through the paint.

I am just saying this because the effort of argueing with a dealer might not warrant the small improvement in performance.

wont invalidate the warranty , Nissan even list a grounding kit as an extra !! :teeth:

Do they? What in the UK?

Never knew or seen that!

Dunno about the UK , in Japan they certainly do though :thumbs: and after all thats where they are made :teeth:

Given the issues I'm having with anything under warranty at the moment and having the joyous luck of speaking with the tools at Nissan GB, if you want warranty to remain in place without question, leave it. :)

I can't see how it would be a problem when all you are doing is adding cables to create a better earth. You aren't changing/removing cabling provided by Nissan and are also utilising factory earthing points.

Which anyone with common sense would agree with. By definition, this rules out Nissan GB.

Consensus seems to be that if you don't have the stomach for a long, drawn-out fight with Nissan on any warranty claim, leave well alone. I imagine a numpty dealer would try and blame any electrical gremlin on the kit. :dry:

The anecdotal evidence seems to vary between those who though a grounding kit transformed the car and those who didn't notice a difference.

What are the benefits of a grounding kit?

The engine seems to run a lot smoother and accelerations also seems smoother. The difference before and after was definitely noticeable on my car and I was over the moon.

By the way get12 my main dealer said it wouldn’t have any affect on the warranty, however I would get anything they say in writing.

I am not electrician, so maybe this is a load of "B0770x", but I look at it as a simple circuit with a + and - terminal. The Car Battery negative is wired to the body(thick chunky wire), and then you have the positive terminal wired to fuses, harness etc powering all the ancilliaries.

Since you generally need +and - to make a complete circuit, the - of all the car ancilliaries (alternators, starter motors etc...have to go back to a fixing point in the body)

Hence why you have "ground cables" they are the ones that close the electrical loop. I am not sure if they should be called "ground cable" (shouldn't they go to ground? but on a car they are isolated by 4 expensive bits of rubber?) ( Someone with electrical knowledge please clarify... )

Anyway the thicker and better quality the cables, the less resistance for electricity to flow, hence improving electrical responses...Also important is to make sure there is good metal to metal contact... if you bolt to a painted hole in the body you might not get earthing at all... you need to cut into the paint to get to the metal...

Howevere this is bound to be a marginal improvement if you think of ther remaining electrical wiring... stil std, so the improvement of one cable will still be limited by the lowest performing part in the system, I THINK... maybe someone can expand on this...

Hence why you have "ground cables" they are the ones that close the electrical loop. I am not sure if they should be called "ground cable" (shouldn't they go to ground? but on a car they are isolated by 4 expensive bits of rubber?) ( Someone with electrical knowledge please clarify... )

'Ground' is a throw over terminology from main electrical distribution systems...the ground is used as it has 0Volts. So on a car the negative terminal is refered to as ground as it provides the same function in creating a potential difference (voltage) for the electricity to flow.

Hope it helps :yawn::yawn::yawn:

What are the benefits of a grounding kit?

The engine seems to run a lot smoother and accelerations also seems smoother. The difference before and after was definitely noticeable on my car and I was over the moon.

By the way get12 my main dealer said it wouldn’t have any affect on the warranty, however I would get anything they say in writing.

Cheers Dicky