Anyone running HSD DTs?

Arran

As above really guys

Mate of mine has the HRs on his Z, rides a bit to hard for me and dont like the idea of true coilover at the rear so want to go for the HSD DT ones, Just want to see if anyone has them on theirs and has anything to say about them?

Cheers

Arran

If you don't want the True Coilovers, we have the MeisterR Zeta-S Coilovers available.

Retain the OEM inboard springs design, but stay with adjustable mono-tube damper for better performance. :)

AZ33S.jpg

We do offer the true coilover design in the Zeta-R if that is what others are after.

Sorry Aran, I know I've said my bit about these but seeing as I have run both setups I thought I'd just add a few words and maybe a little review!

So, the HSD DualTechs...

I have only been running these for 2 weeks and have yet to push the car to any extreme.

Initial thoughts. Very firm, I am currently lowered around 30mm - 40mm with a slight positive rake (The front should ideally be lower than the rear to give a rake effect to aid downforce)

I am currently set to 7 clicks on the rear and 10 clicks on the front(14 stages on these). The back end is so stiff that the slightest of bump will chuck the back end up, so I might have to tinker with the rear dampening!

Very little body roll - pushing it round the bends.

Front end seems more stable and you can point the car to where you need it and it tends to stick there, much of an improvement to the OEM setup.

No fitting issues, no knocks, noises or any problems as far as fitting goes.

£500 for a set of coilovers in my books a budget option, but I believe that you get good value for money with this kit.

MonoPros - (I dunno why you call them HRs but I guess you mean the MonoPros? :p )

Exceptional build quality and come with 16 stage dampening. These can be setup to the highest dampening setting but they tend to handle the british roads a lot better, they are a lot more forgiving than the DTs. I am not an old boy but the DTs do sometimes **** me off how much they chuck me around the car...

I think the MPs have a higher oil capacity where they use the monotube damper, and the spring rate is slightly different on them. 7kg/mm on the rear.

The fronts also use a pillowball top mount rather than the standard rubber mount on the DTs.

Yes, both setups are firm but what do you expect for a coilover? You wont be disapointed with either of the HSDs Aran - Personally if you dont plan on creating a track toy then get the DTs, I cant see you benefiting from anything getting the MPs if you just drive it on the road!

The main reason I got my first set of MPs was for my E36 as they had adjustable camber and caster top mounts, I have tried loads of coilovers in the past and I really rate them!

They were originally HRs before they switched to Monopro now :lol:

The one thing I don't want is a crashy ride and I'm wondering because your quite low and haven't played much with the settings that that could be the reason it's quite choppy? The only thing putting me of the monopro is the rear coilover design as the strut tower isn't designed to take that sort of load which pulls me back to the DTs, I can afford either and will do a few track days plus the nurburgring this year I know both will be good enough it's just wether I want to risk putting true coilovers on the rear as the monopro sound like they ride better with obviously better performance

They were originally HRs before they switched to Monopro now :lol:

The one thing I don't want is a crashy ride and I'm wondering because your quite low and haven't played much with the settings that that could be the reason it's quite choppy? The only thing putting me of the monopro is the rear coilover design as the strut tower isn't designed to take that sort of load which pulls me back to the DTs, I can afford either and will do a few track days plus the nurburgring this year I know both will be good enough it's just wether I want to risk putting true coilovers on the rear as the monopro sound like they ride better with obviously better performance

I don't think the ride height will make a major difference Aran as when you set these up you have a preload adjustment on the spring and the height is then adjusted by winding the damper body... So in theory it should make no real difference wether its slammed or on full height...

My settings were done using a 3D alignment, the only thing I need to play with is the dampening, which is just the turn of the button.

I personally wouldnt be putting too much thought in to it, just flip a coin... Its not like its night and day difference but the DTs do feel more crashier.

As for the true rear coilover on the MPs, I think you are worrying too much. Driftworks used the MonoPros on their 350Z for a long time and there was never any issues... It doesnt seem to cause any more stress on the strut tower, and even so, I dont think its enough to cause any damage as that is exactly what the damper is there for!

I have just fitted the HSD DT's last week the ride is firm but nice, I have also got to do some tinkering as the back end seems to be making abit of a knocking sound but that is probably due to poor fitment on my part was rushing ha

I have not played with the dampering yet but liked the idea of 14clicks figured I would get a lovely smooth ride with that :-) Will keep you posted on the ride as things bed in properly but overall for what I paid £380 delivered I am happy, I got a set they fitted recently but came off after 50miles as the bloke went for the mono pros as decided to drift it.

You can get extended adjusters from HSD for 15 quid which is what I'm going to do, going to abbey Saturday so will have a word with mark see what he advises on the rear coilover situation, once I've made my mind up il order them this coming Monday :)

You can get extended adjusters from HSD for 15 quid which is what I'm going to do

I don't know if this is still the case but I bought some HSD HRs about a year ago and the extended adjusters for the rear dampers didn't fit. I spoke to Driftworks and they insisted they should fit but even Jez at Horsham Developments agreed that they didn't and would have to be re-drilled to make them fit. :angry:

I decided to leave it but if you get some that fit then I'd love to see what the difference is. :headhurt: