Import Speedo Mileage Help

Karlp

Hey guys,

I purchased a JDM 350z from the forum some time ago, I have only noticed this morning that I still have the Jap speedo cluster not the UK one! Cant believe I never noticed before!!!! and also the KMH on the cluster has had a black sticker put over the K so it now reads M/H, my question is... is my car now reading all in KMH and also KM on the mileage counter?? Bonus if it is obviously as my car has only done 36000 miles!

When your Zed was imported one of the things that should have happened was the Kmph was converted to MPH, this means that the speedo and the digital speedo will both be displaying MPH.

Thats why the k is blacked out - most JDM's are like this.

You should have an import slip with the car this should state the Kiloneters at import and when the car was converted - everything after that change will be added as miles on the trip.

:thumbs:

Edited by Keyser

Putting tape over the km/h and changing for mph is a method many importer uses when they change the clocks over to read miles. Much cheaper than a new cluster.

Easy way to check.

Use a sat Nav to measure one mile travelled. Compare with odo at start and finish.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The K is covered over for a few reasons, when the cars were SVA tested the whole speedo face has to illuminate in an even brightness so where the vehicle preppers would add an MPH sticker it would not illuminate correctly hence the black tape. To replace the whole unit would be too expensive and quite OTT especially when an KMH to MPH convertor chip is only around £30 and an easy task to fit.

Any 350z registered in the UK (apart from the very early cars) would have been SVA or IVA tested so any distance run in the UK will be in miles not kms as the car would have had to run in MPH as this is checked as part of the test. If the speedo runs in MPH and shows 180 on the dial then what it'll record in is miles, simple!! The only time it can run in miles and record in kms is when a 'clock face' is fitted but these only display a top speed of 110MPH and are usually a slightly different colour from the rest of the dials.

• 2 weeks later...

Im curious about this as mines got mph clocks but all MFD reads kph but in 9 months ive done 10k yet the car is only used at weekends and only 1-2 times a month does it go far, im sure its still counting in kph as when i was driving to and from work (24 miles a day) in previous car i only did 15k